Chapter Eleven

Athena rarely left her room when Sejanus left

Athena rarely left her room when Sejanus left. She never went to school and decided to take some time to herself. Her father's concern for her had increased over the past two weeks, but she couldn't shake the depressing feeling that loomed over her. She felt so alone. Nothing could comfort her, even with her father there every step of the way.

It was nearly midnight when her father came into her room. She was still awake with her orange lamp mimicking the bright sunsets she always watched. She had spent the past three hours trying to read a book but could barely get past the first chapter.

"Dad?" Athena could tell something was wrong. He stood at the entrance of her room, almost scared to enter her space. He rocked on his feet, lips pulled into a tight line, and hands played with themselves.

"Athena.." he trailed off. He avoided her gaze when he entered her room and sat on her bed. Athena shut her book in alarm and moved herself into a sitting position. Her dad grasped her hands into his.

"What happened?" Her father sighed.

"Sejanus was executed today. I just got the news." Instantly, Athena snatched her hands back and started to shake her head.

"You're lying," she cried, tears streaming down her face.

"He was declared a traitor," Athena cradled her head into her hands.

"He wouldn't do that." she knew he was sympathetic towards the district, which was borderline treason, but she knew he was brighter than that.

"He was caught plotting treason by a Jabberjay."

"I want to hear the tapes," her father shook his head, refusing.

"No," Athena furiously wiped her tears away.

"Why?" She cried, hiccuping.

"Because Athena, why hurt yourself more." He pulled her into a hug. He only left once she fell asleep.

The next few days went in a blur. Athena was wearing a black dress, tights, shoes and a coat when Sejanus's funeral came around. Her eyes were red from crying, and her eyes were nearly purple and swollen.

Athena grabbed her purse from her bag and left her room for the first time since her dad told her the news.

"Ready?" Her father was waiting for her outside. He wore a classic black suit with a cotton, black coat. In his pocket was a white rose.

"Yes," her voice was hoarse.

When they went to the funeral, nobody was there. Only Sejanus's mom, dad, and the last person she expected to see, Coriolanus Snow. His hair was lighter the last time she had seen him. The golden tones that once highlighted his hair had transformed into icy ones, making it nearly white. His skin was tanner from the warm weather down at District 12, as it's further south than the Capital.