Chapter Six

"Despite yesterday's tragedy, our president has decided that the games must go on

"Despite yesterday's tragedy, our president has decided that the games must go on. Show everyone that the capital isn't afraid of such acts of terror. To which Dr. Gual wishes you to preview the arena this afternoon with your tribute. Later this evening, a special televised presentation of each tribute will be given to our audience to get to know them. You will have an hour to discuss gratitude." Athena watched her father down another veil of morphing. "You may begin."

Treech seemed tired. He took off his hat, revealing his pitch-black hair. It was flat against his head due to the hat, but she could tell it had some waves. His eyes were red, and his bags were purple; he didn't sleep much.

"How are you doing?" Athena asked. Treech looked around the room, observing everyone.

"Good," he seemed like he was in a daze, not entirely looking at her.

"Okay," Athena gathered all her thoughts. "First things first. The interview." Then she cleared her throat. "I need you to be likeable," she explained.

"Why is that?" Treech asked, finally tearing his eyes away from his surroundings and looking towards her.

"Because that interview will help you get donations. With these donations, I can give you things in the arena, like water or food." Treech nodded his head.

"Okay. How do I become likeable?" He asked, leaning forward and putting his elbows on the table.

"Get the citizens to sympathize with you. Say you're in love or get sad that you may die. Anything to tear up the citizens." Treech ran his hands through his hair, chains ringing, causing her to wince.

"Okay, I'll be good for that." he nodded, grinning at her mischievously.

"Treech, I don't like that look." His grin widened, but he only shrugged off her questioning glare.

"And for the Arena?" Athena sighed.

"This may be hard to hear, but you must ditch Lamina." Treech's eyes widened, and instantly, he was shaking his head.

"Listen -"

"No, I can't do that," Treech said, looking over to Lamina, who was crying.

"Treech," she tried to get his attention, but his eyes were glued to his district partner.

"Treech, look at me." Their eyes met.

"I know this is hard. But at this point, if you don't think about yourself, you will die." She stated firmly. His eyes watered, causing her heart to break for him. She grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly.

"I don't want to," he shook his head, lips trembling.

"At the end of the day, if it was her and you, Lamina would choose herself, and you need to remember that. There can only be one victor; the Capital would never change that," she brought her hand up to his cheek, causing him to flinch, but he let her wipe away one of his tears before sniffling one more time, straightening his shoulders and nodded,

"If you offer to team up with someone, take it. But keep in mind that at the end of the game, there will be a bloodbath between you all. So be smart. If they sleep and there are little tributes, slaughter them. I would say hide, but in the Gladiator-styled arena, there isn't many places to hide. Also, make sure to grab a good weapon." Treech absorbed every word Athena said.

"My father always told me that one day the mockingjay will sing and when they do it means the war will soon come to an end. A sign to never give up hope," he snuffled rubbing his eyes.

"You truly believe that?" Athena asked looking up from her paper.

"We all do,"

"Let's hope the Mockingjay sings sooner rather then later," Athena smiles.

The two spent the little amount of time they had strategizing about his strengths and weaknesses as well as what to say and what not to say.

It wasn't long before her father walked in, dismissing everyone.

"Athena," he greeted. It had been the first time he had seen her since yesterday.

"Father." She coldly greeted them as she walked past him. She heard Treech make a noise at her words in the back of his throat. He was dragged behind by a soldier next to her.

"Father?" he asked in a harsh voice.

"Yes," she couldn't look him in the eyes.

"That's what you meant when you said, 'less blood on my dad's hands,'"

"Would you have been nice to me if you knew?" she asked. His silence was the only answer she needed before they were split up. Treech is in the car with the rest of her tributes, and Athena is in the car with her dad.

They drove to the arena in silence. Athena is upset about her interaction with Treech and feels awkward talking to her dad.

When she got to the outside of the Arena, the tributes were lined up and guarded with large guns  . Athena went to stand next to Treech, patiently waiting for the other mentors to show up. The Capital Arena was built across a river to prevent crowds from swamping the downtown area. Her father once told her that during the war, the Capital used the theatre as a place to hold executions.

"I am sorry," Athena apologized. Treech looked at her in the corner of his eye but said nothing.

"Please talk to me?" Athena nearly begged. Treech sighed and shook his head, "Nothing to be said." she didn't say anything after that.

Soon enough, all the mentors showed up and were ready to go.

"Alright, let's go!" one of the guards said.

They all entered a tunnel with an entryway coated with red light.

"Enjoy the show," came out of the speaker of the turnstile.

"That's not ominous," Treech muttered to himself.

Once the kids started to pour into the arena, the light of Flickerman's camera could be seen.

Athena couldn't help but gasp at the size of the arena. It was different when looking down at the field from the seats, but being in the battleground unsettled her. There were no places to hide.

The windows started to be revealed, allowing light to flood the arena. "I am so going to die," Treech whispered.

"Don't think like that," she hit him. He gave her an annoyed look before walking around and talking to a few tributes.

Athena tried hard to find anything to help Treech, but nothing seemed helpful.

"Hey, Athe-" then her world exploded.