Chapter Fourteen

It had been a few months since Athena had seen Treech, but even though they had been apart for so long, she felt reassured that Treech was doing well. Every once in a while, she would find a delicate rose or a thoughtful letter thoughtfully placed on her windowsill, and he made sure to check up on her, eager to see how she was doing. 

"ATHENA," Athena dropped her glass of water, causing it to smash on the ground. She snapped her head towards her and opened the door, shooting a sharp glare at Gracie, who grinned, not even caring that she was the cause of Athena smashing the glass.

"What?" Athena had to refrain herself from snapping in annoyance.

"My dad got a new job offer! we are moving!" Athena was slowly picking up the glass pieces from the ground.

"What's better than a mayor?" Athena asked, confused. Her father had the best job in the district.

"Being Mayor in District 4!" Athena dropped all the glass in her hand again, startled. It was very unusual for the District Mayor to be promoted, let alone all the way to District 4. 

"District 4?" Gracie nodded her head in confirmation.

"Yup," she popped the 'p' at the end. "The pay is better, the house is bigger, and you even get to have your own  room!" she squealed.

"When do we leave?" Athena asked from the ground.

"Now! Pack a week's worth of clothes; the rest will be sent up there!" she babbled before rushing out of the room and into her brother's room. She could hear Gracie run into Finely's room and gush about the news to him.

Athena's emotions were in turmoil, leaving her unsure and conflicted about the news. She was thrilled at the prospect of taking the next step in her life, but at the same time, she was overwhelmed with anxiety about Treech's ability to find her. She reached for a pen and paper on her desk, her hand trembling as she scribbled a few words in haste, hoping to ease the overwhelming sense of unease.

I am being relocated to District 4—the mayor's house.

Athena

Athena quickly packed her clothes into a bag, and memories of her past flooded back in that moment. She felt as though she was back in her old home where peacekeepers would constantly monitor her every move as if looking away for a moment would result in her disappearance.

She zipped up her bag and threw it over her shoulder. She folded her letter to Treech in half and placed it on the windowsill, praying that he would find it.

When she left the room, she saw Gracie lugging three bags behind her while Finley had a small bag hanging off his shoulder. He didn't seem happy about the move compared to Gracie, who was sporting a huge grin.

"Let me help you with that, Athena!" Mayor Darren grinned, grabbing her back.

"Darren, what will I tell the kids I tutor?" Athena asked in worry. She felt like she was abandoning them.

"It's okay, Athena; a sign will be posted on the door to let everyone know we have relocated. A fresh new start in District 4 isn't that lovely. I never imagined being in a nice District, let alone running it!" He laughed, throwing her bag into the cart.

"Now come on! We have a long day's worth of travel!" The three kids piled into the cart and headed to the train station.

"Why didnt they give you a few days to pakc and say goodbye to everyone?" Athena stressed as the cart began to move. 

"The old mayor was hung for treason, they needed someone ASAP." 

Athena didn't feel anything as she watched the house she lived in for a few months leave her eyesight. It was sad to say she felt like she'd been moving around her whole life.

It took a little under a day for them to reach District 4. The sun was shining, and Athena could already feel the heat blazing through the window. It was odd to see no snow on the ground near the end of February.

The train started to slow down and eventually came to a complete stop. The ground was made up of either stone or hard dirt that was covered in blowing sand. The trees blended between palm trees and oak trees.

At the station were two Peacekeepers with their rifles gripped tightly in their hands, posture straight, waiting for them.

"Mayor Darren?" Greeted one of the men. They two started to converse while the kids looked around.

Waves could be heard from afar, and Athena couldn't help but feel drawn to it. She's never seen the ocean before.

The rock and sand slowly faded into pure sand mixed with shells and twigs as she neared the ocean. The waters were crystal blue, so clear that Athena could see the fish swimming around.

She could feel a smile grow on her face; the heat coming from the sun warmed her to the bone. No more cold weather to make her skin dry and pale and no more getting sick. She bent down and removed her boots, letting the sand wiggle between her feet.

"Athena," Darren was yelling out for her. Athena gave the waves one last longing look before leaving and meeting with her caregiver.

The peacekeepers brought them to a house double the size of the one they were previously staying in.

Inside, they had a large kitchen and dining hall with a living room decorated with a large fireplace, piano and comfortable couches. Upstairs were three bedrooms and a bathroom, while downstairs had a larger room that Darren gave to Athena. Saying she needed privacy when she was still a guest.

Her room was big, nowhere near the size of her old room in the Capital, but it made her feel closer to home than ever. She spent the day rearranging everything. She pushed her bed into the small alcove on the right of her room. She decorated her desk towards the end of the room with the empty bookcase. The room looked open because of the lack of stuff. She only had her clothes at the moment, so it looked empty.

Athena lay down on her bed, relaxing. This could be a way to climb to the top. To make a difference.