Chapter Twenty - Nine

When she got out of the arena, the only people waiting to greet her were the game maker, Dr. Gaul, Caspian and her stylists. All but the doctor had tears in their eyes, happy that she won. Even with people there greeting her, she couldn't help but feel disappointed when she realized Coriolanus wasn't there.

She didn't know why; after everything, she thought he would've been there. She knew they had a rocky relationship, never knowing if they liked each other or wanted to see the other's head on a stick. But their love-hate relationship gave her life; she loved it.

The healers had taken a few hours to bandage up all her wounds. They wanted to keep her overnight, but Athena wanted nothing more than to go to bed before being sent back to her district.

When she did get to the hotel, she jumped right into bed trying hard to fall asleep. But after a few hours passed she found herself sitting at the end of her bed, feeling exhausted but her body wouldn't let her sleep. She tried to get comfortable, but the soreness of her muscles made it hard for her to relax.

The silence consumed her; she didn't turn on a fan or anything to mask it. Instead, she greeted it. She wished she had music; it was a luxury she found she didn't get much in the districts. The loud country music played at the pub was too complex for her to enjoy, so she only stayed short when she was down there.

Her bedroom door opened, breaking her from her thoughts. Coriolanus stood there, his hair in natural curls, wearing a light blue t-shirt and grey pants.

"Hi," she didn't feel like saying hi back.

"Where were you?" she boldly asked. As her eyes locked onto his face, her heart began to race. She was caught off guard by the intensity of her emotions. She had never realized how much she had grown attached to the annoying blond. But even with her attachment, she felt a sense of anger that burned hot, flowing through her veins. She wanted nothing more than to unleash her fury on him, to yell at him for not being there when she got out of the arena because his face was the only one that mattered to her.

As she slowly lifted her head, she realized she had unconsciously exited the bed. Now, she stood there, her bare feet cold against the hardwood floor, staring at him. Her arms were tightly crossed over her chest; her anger overwhelmed her. She felt a sense of unease and anxiety gnawing at her insides, waiting for him to say something, anything that might alleviate her fears. The room was silent, except for their breathing, as they both stood there, lost in their thoughts.

He shut the door behind him and stormed up to her, grabbing her by the back of her neck and kissing her. His lips were soft and moved gently against hers. After a few seconds of shock, she felt her body react to his touch, leaning into the kiss and placing her hands against his toned stomach. She moved her hands up to his chest and around his neck, pulling him into her more so there was little to no space between the two.

The kiss got heated, and his tongue brushed against her bottom lip, biting it open for him. Coriolanus's hand moved from her neck down to her waist, guiding her to move against him. Athena felt shocked at the sound that came out of her mouth when they broke their kiss, and he began to kiss her neck. Athena tugged at his curls in complete ecstasy.

Coriolanus's hands moved from her waist down her ass and gripped her thighs, telling her to jump. Her legs wrapped around his waist, and he carried them to her bed. Athena pulled her shirt off over her head and yanked Coriolanus's top as he laid her down gently.

Athena was out of breath, looking up at Coriolanus through her lashes. He was staring down at her with an unreadable emotion. He brought his hand up to her bruised face, "It was hard watching Azriel do this to you," His voice was cold.

Athena caught his hand before he touched her face. She kissed his fingertips softly, bringing them to her pulse on her neck; her heart was beating fast. "I'm alive," she reminded him.

She let go of his hand and grabbed the other one, bringing it up to her chest and giving him the invitation he needed. His hand near her pulse wrapped around her neck and pulled her into another longing kiss. His hands travelled down her body, bringing her pure pleasure.

"I wanted to do this for so long," he groaned, kissing her neck.

"Now you don't have to wait."