Chapter Twenty - Four

When she woke up the following morning, her eyes were swollen, and her head was heavy. She went to the bathroom and splashed her face with cold water in hopes of helping with the swelling.

She sat on her bed for a few minutes and let the silence comfort her. For once, she found it eased her mind.

She looked to the side and saw her yellow dress, the one she wore during the reaping.

She picked it up and ran her fingers over the rough material. She wore it because Treech always told her that he liked yellow on her. He always said it made her look innocent, even when knocking him down during training.

Athena pressed the dress to her chest, hugging it in comfort. As she did so, she felt something sharp prick her chest.

In confusion, she opened the pocket that was stitched to her skirt; inside was something metal. She grabbed it and gasped when she saw it; she was convinced she lost it months ago.

It was a Mockingjay pin. Treech had given it to her the first day she had knocked him to the ground during their training.

Athena jumped around in glee when she finally knocked Treech to the ground. It had taken a while, but she managed to do it.

"I finally did it!" She cheered, helping Treech up from the ground. He laughed at her reaction, wiping the sweat off his forehead.

"You made me work for that," he said in between breaths, which she only giggled in response.

"How does it feel?" Athena taunted him.

"How does what feel?" He asked, running his hands through his dark, sweaty hair.

"I surpassed the master," Treech grinned menacingly.

"Yeah?" She slowly started to back away when he began to approach her.

"Treech? What are you doing?" The smile was instantly wiped off her face when he charged at her.

She was so taken off guard she didn't get any chance to run away before his hands were on her waist, lifting her and throwing her over his shoulders.

"Put me down," she screeched as he ran straight into the water.

Athena squealed when she was engulfed in the ocean. She didn't resurface right away when Treech threw her. Instead, she opened her eyes, the salt stinging them as she swam towards Treech's feet and yanked them out from underneath him. When she resurfaced, she was already laughing.

"I can't swim," he gasped, struggling to stay up. The smile on Athena's face instantly dropped, and she lunged to help him.

Treech grabbed her arm and yanked her into him, holding her tight. He was faking it.

"Asshole," she splashed him with the water.

"Nice to know you care," he smirked. The two stayed in the water for a few minutes, swimming around before heading back into the house.

Once they dried off and changed clothing, the two sat on her couch. The orange sunset was streaming through her windows. She could still feel the heat from it, which relaxed her; she had her legs resting over Treech's legs, and her eyes were closed, enjoying the nature sounds coming from the open door.

"I got something for you," Athena opened one eye to see Treech holding a little bag in his hand.

"What is it?" She asked, sitting up. She removed her legs from his and carefully scooted the closer, observing the pouch.