Chapter Thirteen

If my writing is off, I do apologize. I had a death in my family that was unexpected. I also almost cut my finger off, but I am okay, I promise.

"Treech?" He stood in her doorway nervously, looking at her

"Treech?" He stood in her doorway nervously, looking at her. He had his hat in his hand, ringing it tightly. He was taller than the last time he had seen him and had probably grown a few inches over the past few months. He was wearing dark brown pants and a dirty cream-coloured top, which didn't come as a surprise to Athena. His hair had grown longer, reaching just below his ear, but he seemed healthy. Alive.

Athena was shocked at first. She didn't know what to do as thousands, no, millions of emotions overwhelmed her. Treech had always haunted her mind. She sometimes convinces herself that the soldiers couldn't find him because he was dead.

"Hi, Athena," he weakly smiled, giving her a slight wave of the hand.

Almost instantly, Athena jumped out of her seat and aggressively pushed him.

"Are you stupid," she hissed, closing all the blinds and locking her door. She anxiously peaked through the blinds before whirling around to face the boy. Molten anger rolled over her so that she couldn't tell whether to hit him or hug him.

"W-what?" He threw his hands up in defence as she grabbed the pillow off her couch and began annihilating him with it, channelling her anger and irritation into each hit.

"You could be seen, and then you will be arrested and executed." Athena's anger broke down, turning her angry tears into sad ones. Her heavy breathing faded into sobs, and tears cascaded down her face, making her feel weak and fail. A panic looks instantly set on Treech's face.

"What do I do??" He panicked, looking around for anything to help the crying girl.

"A blanket?" He suggested, giving her a half smile with the throw blanket from the couch hanging from his hand.

Athena shook her head, trying to explain why she was upset, but no coherent words came out.

Treech dropped the blanket, grabbed Athena, and pulled her into a hug. His arms wrapped around her like chains, locking her in place, with his words being the only key to set her free. He rubbed his hands on her back, soothing her until she calmed down. The smell of pine cones and smoke reached her nose, and Athena relaxed against his grip.

Treech guided her to the couch and sat her down, throwing the blanket over her once she was comfortable. He rushed over to her desk and started to wipe away her tears. She had so much frustration, anger, and sadness consuming her for weeks that seeing Treech unlocked the box she had been shoving her feelings in.

"I'm sorry," she sniffled, composing herself. Her head felt heavy, and she started to pound from the crying.

"It's okay," he smiled, grasping her hand and rubbing her wrist with the pad of his thumb. His touch left her nerves tingling.

"What are you doing here?" Athena asked. She almost felt like she was dreaming. She would have multiple dreams of him after he left; she never expected a boy whom she had known for a few days to impact her view of the world so much.

"I've been in hiding since I ran from the games. There's a place up North where many people are starting to migrate. I stayed there until I caught wind of a rumour that the man who created the Hunger Games died." He paused for a second, noticing Athena's teary eye.

"I'm sorry to hear about your dad," Treech sympathized.

"I'm doing better than I was," she shrugged, wiping a tear.

"After your father's funeral was broadcasted and confirmed, another rumour floated through the districts. That Highbottom daughter was being sent to District 9, and I knew I had to see you. I waited and watched until the time was right." Treech explained. Athena's lip trembled and she pulled the boy into another hug.

"you seem healthy," she smiled. Treech returned the smile and nodded, "I am."

The two spent the whole night talking. Athena explained everything that happened when he left. She goes into the games, Lucy Grey wins, and her friend and father die. He didn't have much to tell her, only that a population of people was growing in the North and That they were all preparing for something.

"I have to go now," Treech said, looking out the window; the sun was starting to rise. Athena never realized the time, nor did she feel tired.

"Will I see you again?" Athena asked.

"You think you can get rid of me that easy?" Treech smirked, standing up and pulling his jacket on.

"Of course not," she laughed.

"I'll miss you," he admitted after a long pause, his eyes meeting hers.

"Me too," Athena could swear she could see a slight blush on Treech's face, but he turned his head to the side to avoid her gaze.

"Thank you for protecting me," Treech whispered before leaving.

When Athena got home she went straight to her room. The birds were away, chirping but the house remained silent.

When Athena got to her room, Gracie was asleep on her bed. She was still in her daytime clothes and sleeping on the covers.

"Gracie," she nudged the girl. It took nearly a minute before the girl took a dramatic gasp awake, her eyes widening at the sight of Athena.

"Where have you been?" she pulled herself into a sitting position. Her hair had nearly fallen out of her bun, her makeup was smudged, and her clothes wrinkly, making Athena feel guilty for worrying her.

"I ended up falling asleep at the tutoring centre; I'm so sorry," Athena lied. Gracies rubbed her eyes in exhaustion.

"it's fine; I'm going to go back to bed," she mumbled, shuffling out of the room and closing the door behind her. Athena still didn't feel tired; it was almost as if the talk with Treech energized her.