Chapter Twenty

Athena was surprised with the upgrade of the train. Inside was comfortable couches and tables to sit at.

Athena made herself comfortable near the centre of the train, leaning her head against the window. Merlin sat across from her, bopping his long leg.

"I should've eaten before the reaping," was his first words to her.

"Hungry?" She asked. At first, she had thought he should be happy they upgraded the train ride but she didn't voice her internal thoughts.

"Yeah," the train jolted forward and started to speed away from the District.

"Caspian," Athena called getting up from her seat. He was pouring himself a glass of white wine. He seemed startled with her sudden appearance.

"Yes?" He took a sip.

"Can you get us food?" She asked placing her hand on her hips.

"No, I don't think so," Caspian shook his head but Athena wasn't going to take no for an answer.

"Fine, I'll get it myself." Despite her protest she swung open the doors to the next room ignoring the peacekeepers who stared at her with wide eyes. She grabbed a few sandwiches on the table and loaded it on a plate.

"Hey! You can't do that," one Peackeeper nearly yelled. Athena rolled her eyes and stared at the blond haired Peackeeper.

"If the Capital wants a good show we need food." She snapped storming out of the room. She glared at Caspian who sheepishly smiled at her as she passed.

She sat across from Merlin and placed the plate in between the two. Merlin's jaw dropped at the sight of the sandwiches.

"How?" He breathed out in awe.

"I won't take no for an answer, not anymore." Athena smiled grabbing a sandwich. The two cheered their sandwiches and began to eat.

After a few minutes of comfortable silence Caspian sat next to Merlin.

"What?" Athena drawled out after noticing the intense stare Caspian was giving her. He stared at her like a hanged painting at a museum or a lion in it's cage, with nothing but fascination and curiosity

"Miss Brightsworth, do tell? How did you end up in the Districts?" Athena could see Merlin look between the two in confusion.

"My father died," she said plainly.

"No family to take you in?" Caspian raised an eyebrow.

"I was an orphan before father," Athena crossed her arms over her chest.

"Wait, what is he talking about?" Merlin asked, his bushy eyebrows were furrowed in confusion.

"She," he pointed at Athena smirking, "is a Capital kid." Merlin's eyes widened.

"What?" He gaped. Athena felt annoyed at Caspian, she knew being reaped was going to bring people back into her life she long forgotten.

"Is that why you're so good at fighting?" Merlin asked cautiously.

"Somewhat," Athena lied. She couldn't admit treason infront of a Capital puppet.

"Fighting? Are you the one who trained Mags Falanagan?"

"Yes," the rest of the train ride was silent. Caspian continued to talk but neither Athena or Merlin said anything.

It had taken many many hours to get to the Capital.

The two tributes were guided off the train by Caspian. They were instantly loaded into a car which transported them to a hotel. Athena remembered passing this hotel on the car ride to and from school but she never bothered to learn the name.

It has clearly been rebuilt over the pass two years, it was a lot taller then she remembered.

Once the car pulled up to the hotel there were crowds of people waiting by the entrance. They were being pushed back by peacekeepers to ensure a safe passage for the tributes and Caspian.

Athena winced when the car door opened allowing the high pitched cheering flow into the car.

Athena and Merlin exchanged nervous looks while Caspian slipped out of the car with a large grin on his face. Clearly the popularity of the games have grown immensely since she left.

Athena grabbed Merlin's hand and the two got out of the car together.

Athena made an effort to hold her head up highly, eyes cold and smirk on her lips. She skimmed the crowd who nearly blinded the trio with their flashing lights.

Inside the lobby of the hotel were the other tributes along with their escort and peacekeepers. They were the last to arrive.

To Athena's relief there wasn't many young kids, the youngest being the age 16. She didn't want to be responsible for the death of anyone younger than that.

Some were buff and muscular while others were skinny and scrawny, all trying to seem strong but she could tell they were terrified.

"Follow me," Caspian waved his hand at them walking towards the elevator.

The elevator was one of many. It was made of glass allowing Athena to watch as the Elevator moved up the floors.

Once they got to floor 4 the doors opened. They walked down a hallway and at the very end was their room. Athena wasn't sure what she was expecting but it wasn't a room that consisted of a kitchen, dining room, living room and bedrooms.

"You guys get a nap in if you can, I'll wake you up once your stylist is ready." Caspian spoke after the two examined the room.

"Stylist?" Athena was confused.

"Oh yes!" He clapped his hands together getting excited.

"We have to show you off to the world. How else will you get sponsors," he winked at the two before walking into his room.

She explicated Merlin to go straight to his room as well but he stood there for a moment with a stoic look on his face before looking down at Athena.

"Athena, I'm not going to survive," Merlin whispered into the silence. Athena didn't bother to correct him, she didnt have it in her.

"Just give it your all," was all she said before she retired back to her room.

Her room was small, with a singular blue and white bed in the centre of the room with nets decorating the wall.

Athena didn't feel like feeling. She laid down on the cover of the bed letting the cool blankets soothe her back when she did so.

The feeling was now foreign to her, the silence. She could hear the slight win blowing against the window do her room and the movement of the elevators. But other then that pure silence. No more birds chirping, rolling of the waves or the slight rustling of the trees and bushes moving with the wind.

She hoped Mags was still teaching the kids while she was gone and that Gracie was still doing her homework. She knew they'd miss her, she misses them too.

She closed her eyes with a deep breath, she could swear she could feel the ocean breeze over her skin and the sound of waves crashing outside her house. She allowed her mind to lul her into a dreamless sleep.