Chapter Two

Athena hated the games

Athena hated the games. She saw the restless sleep her father got when the games came back around each year. His addiction to morphing got worse and worse with every passing year, and Athena stressed over the fact that one day, he wouldn't wake up.

"Graduation day!" Sejanus grinned, coming up behind her.

"Thankfully, I can't wait to move on to bigger things," Athena smiled back. The two became very close friends when he came from the district. Athena's curiosity about what it was like there and Sejanus's fear of the capital kids made it easy for the two to click.

Athena was wearing a baby blue dress that reached her knees. She had a white flower purse hanging over her shoulders and white shoes to match.

"Are you going to tell him?" Athena asked as they neared the school entrance.

"Tell who what?" He looked over at her in confusion.

"About the plinth prize? Everyone knows Coriolanus was meant to get it," Sejanus gripped the strap of his bag tightly.

"I have to, don't I?" He mumbled; she could tell how guilty he felt.

"Yes," they entered the school and made their way inside.

The school looked very new as it was rebuilt after the war. Inside were high pillars lit by a comforting warm glow coming from lights hidden within the walls. In the background, a piano was playing as the students mingled.

"Ah, Athena. It's so nice to see you!" Sejanus's mother gave her a big hug,

"Nice to see you, Mrs. Plinth!" Athena smiled.

Athena talked to the parents for a moment just trying to make civil talk. She noticed Coriolanus  and his friends looking over at them; some looked disgusted, while others were motionless. As expected.

She gave them a knowing look before parting ways and taking her seat.

"Do you think she's just friends with him because of the money?" Arachne Crane mused while taking a sip of her drink. Her brown hair was perfectly curled, parted to the side. She had a white blazer on that made her look sharp and an expensive glass of champagne in her hand.

Snow examined the nearly white-haired girl. He vividly remembered her during the war and how scared she was. They all were. He hated that she knew him in such a dark time, but even with his disdain, she was always on his mind.

"She's the Dean's daughter; I doubt she needs to climb the ladder by making friends with the lesser," Felix said, shoving another pastry in his mouth, causing Festus to grimace.

"She's also brilliant; she's the second 6-year-old who managed to graduate two years early," Felix said. "Maybe she will win the plinth prize,"

"I wouldn't put it past her," Snow chimed intensely, staring at her as she said goodbye to Sejanus and his family. He washed as she tucked her hair behind her ear and gave them a knowing yet smug look before walking past them and taking her seat. His jealousy swells in his chest. She can't win the prize; he won't allow it.