Chapter 10 - Atonement

I step inside Louise's bedchamber and quietly shut the door behind me. The curtains are drawn and a single wax candle sitting on the left-hand side bedside table bathes the room in a faint orange glow.

My pink-haired mistress sits on her bed wearing one of her plain white nightgowns. Legs folded and arms crossed, she wears a seriously stern expression the likes of which makes me feel the smallest bit uneasy.

Toby zips by me and takes his place upon Louise's windowsill wordlessly. The tome then flops onto its side as though going to sleep.

Looks like I'm not getting backup, then. I exhale softly.

Louise watches me as I remove my cloak and sit down in the wooden chair across from my mattress bed, but ultimately says nothing.

The girl has a look of absolute steel to her tonight.

And with good reason too, I guess. I did lie to her about helping Siesta, after all.

I look back at Louise, wondering how I can break the ice, but I can't.

There's nothing to say. Not after what happened earlier.

The silence continues for a few minutes.

Until I muster the strength to break it, that is.

"Look, Louise, you have every right to be pissed at me for lying like I did," I tell her with a soft sigh. "I just...I felt bad for Siesta. And I know you would've stopped me if I'd told you the whole story."

Louise says nothing, though her frown softens a little bit.

"It's why I didn't say anything, and why I wanted to help her myself," I add.

I sigh again and rub the bridge of my nose, feeling an impending headache coming on. I'm guessing it's a delayed reaction to all of the stress from today.

"But," I say, looking Louise dead in the eye, "that doesn't excuse me for not being honest with you when I should've been. And I'm sorry for doing that."

Louise sighs softly and nods in acknowledgment.

"So," I continue, "what do we do from here? Are we good? You know I didn't mean any harm, right?"

Louise is quiet for a few seconds.

"Yes," she finally answers. "I do understand your reasons for helping her, Michael, and I'm glad you were willing to do so. It proves to me beyond any doubt that you have a good heart."

Louise then frowns faintly and narrows her eyes.

"But it doesn't change the the outcome of recent events: you are an absolute idiot for endangering yourself like you have recently. First, you throw yourself in harm's way dueling Guiche. Then you repeat the same mistake - by dueling a renowned nobleman of all people - for that maid."

I smile a little and nod. "Yeah. I can see your point. But..."

I then give Louise a warm, friendly grin. Best I try to lighten the mood.

"You love me anyway."

The girl looks away and huffs. "Whatever," she mutters under her breath.

I can't help but smile even more at her reaction. She's cute when she's angry, I guess.

"But really, I'm sorry," I tell her once more.

"And you had better be, too," Louise remarks with a shake of her head. "If you were anyone else, Michael, I would have severely punished you for defying me like you did today."

My blood runs cold as soon as I hear those words leave her mouth.

I swallow hard and force a nervous laugh.