Chapter 20 - Agreement

I awaken with a groggy groan and my eyes slowly open.

My vision is a hazy pink blur.

Dammit, I hate getting up some mornings.

I wake up feeling like garbage sometimes, no matter how much sleep I had the night before.

I blink to clear my vision. Once. Twice. A third time.

The pink mess splashed across my vision forms into a solid shape, that of Louise snuggled close to me.

Chest rising and falling gently with every soft breath, she's fast asleep.

I can't help but smile at her. Her being so petite and fragile makes me do it most mornings, now I think about it.

Drawing away, I reach for the pocket watch that Louise left open on the bedside table last night.

My eyes widen a touch. It's already well past eight!

Princess will be unbearable if she misses breakfast before we head to Osmond's office.

Carefully, without disturbing the girl, I get out of bed and begin getting dressed for the day.

By the time I get to sit at the desk to lace my shoes, Louise lets out a sleepy whine behind me. I glance at her.

Still groggy, the girl stretches her limbs over the bed before sitting up, the blanket slipping down off her shoulders. Her eyes are half-lidded and heavy with sleep, while her cheeks are tinged a pale pink.

''Morning,'' she mutters.

Chuckling, I stand up from the chair and walk toward the bed. Leaning over, I pick up the pocket watch from the bedside table and place it into her hands.

"Same to you, Louise. Although... I'd hurry if you don't want to miss breakfast," I tell her.

With a groan, Louise rubs one eye with her knuckles.

"I hate mornings..." she mutters.

I laugh gently at her saying so.

"You and I are somewhat alike there." I shake my head in amusement, "Trust me, my dad used to shout like crazy when I wouldn't get up for school."

Louise nods as she opens her eyes fully to look at me. There's still a bit of sleep in her eyes, though.

"Is that so?" she asks, and I nod in reply.

Without any additional words, Louise pulls the blankets away and looks down.

"I would prefer you dress me this morning, Michael. But... given there is less than an hour until breakfast ends, dressing on my own will be far faster," Louise decides with a small frown, adding "and I don't want to keep Professor Colbert waiting, either."

That, has me laughing.

"Oh, you humble me with your immense generosity this morning, Mistress," I bow and flourish one hand dramatically, continuing as I do with a feigned, gloomy sigh, "it seems this lowly servant isn't good enough to button your blouses anymore."

Louise rolls her eyes with an annoyed little pout. Despite that, I notice the slightest hint of an amused smile at the corners of her mouth.

At that moment, the pinkette's expression lightens, and a grin forms.

"You should be honoured... I'm gifting you the chance to catch a glimpse of the feminine grace and beauty I possess with each article of clothing," she attempts to be proud and assertive in that moment, flashing me a strangely playful little smirk. It fails a little, voice slightly wavering as her cheeks turn pink with embarrassment.