Chapter 18 - The Exhibition

Kirche knocks on Tabitha's door and waits.

"Are you up yet? I hope you're ready for the Exhibition," Kirche says.

"Come in," Tabitha calls back softly.

The red-haired mage opens the door and peeks inside.

Tabitha lies on her bed in her long white nightgown next to an open tome, reading quietly from it. After several moments, Kirche bursts into the room.

"Good morning, Tabitha," she greets the younger girl with a smile. "I hope you have something fantastic planned for the Exhibition today!"

Tabitha doesn't say anything for several moments, lost in thought as she ponders something. Kirche waves a hand in front of Tabitha's face.

"Tabitha?"

The bespectacled girl simply utters a short breath and nods.

"I said, I hope you have something fantastic planned for the Exhibition today," Kirche repeats, her smile not fading in light of Tabitha's usual quietness.

"Sylphid will soar above everyone," Tabitha finally says with a tiny nod and the barest hints of a smile.

The Germanian raises a brow and smiles at her blue-haired friend. "Oh? Is that it? Sounds so-so..."

Tabitha shakes her head and says, "It's simple... but effective. Everyone likes dragons."

Kirche pats her friend on the shoulder and smiles. "I should've known you'd take such an approach," the redhead says warmly. "With your magic and your familiar, I'm sure you'll steal the show."

The Germanian fixes her gaze upon Tabitha's sleepwear and sighs gently, smirking.

"Well, provided you change into your uniform and actually attend the show, that is," Kirche notes pointedly. "Unless you'd rather Princess Henrietta sees you in those."

Tabitha simply shrugs at Kirche's expression before returning to her book.

"I'll change after this chapter," the blue-haired teen replies in a matter-of-fact voice as she lazily turns another page of the tome. "Reading is more important."

The Germanian raises a bemused brow at this reply and then breathes a deep sigh.

Piles upon piles of books fill the room. Most neatly lie on the ground. The others are found stacked atop each other on many shelves placed near the walls and bed. It is also obvious they are not common textbooks from the school: their bindings are different and each has a name inscribed on it. All of this creates the strong impression that her entire collection must have been painstakingly collected over the years.

Kirche shakes her head and suppresses a grin at the sight of Tabitha reading, which to her is an all too familiar sight.

"What are you reading anyway, Tabitha?" the Germanian asks, at least the smallest bit curious.

Tabitha stands up from her bed, with a sigh, her eyes not leaving her book, and makes her way to the wardrobe near the corner of the room.

"A book about runes," she answers in her usual stoic tone, opening up the wooden drawer and extracting her black cloaks and a few school supplies. "The one Professor Colbert was reading between most of our lectures of last week."

Kirche purses her lips curiously and tries to recall which lectures the bespectacled girl may be referring to.

"Runes, you said? Between lectures?"

"Yes. Professor Colbert was reading this one book for most of last week. Did you not notice?" Tabitha asks, putting down her tome on the surface of her study desk as she turns around to face the taller student.