Chapter 11 - Lesson

My eyes flicker open and I let out a short, displeased groan.

Waking up early isn't fun no matter how many times I do it. In Tristain or England.

Dawn light pours in through the window and bathes the room in a soft orange glow. It's seriously soothing.

Smiling, I lower my eyes from the light and down to my bed.

Her arms wrapping my middle, Louise clings to me whilst breathing in and out softly. My heart flutters at the sight of her sleeping so soundly.

"You're a good girl, Louise, despite having your moments," I admit in a whisper, running a caring hand through her candyfloss hair.

I dunno why, but I'm filled with an immense urge to protect her whilst we're snuggling close like this.

It's weird. I rarely felt a strong sense of dedication toward Anna, and we were together for almost seven years.

The realization is enough to make me pause.

"This must mean..." I shake my head vigorously. "Never mind. Let's get on with the day."

No way am I getting too close to Louise. Not gonna happen. I have far too much to figure out about both Tristain and my feelings first.

Moaning gently, Louise lets out a small breath and her eyes flutter open.

My heartbeat quickens.

"Morning," I greet my dainty sleeping companion, trying to keep my emotions steady.

"Mmm," she murmurs. "Good morning."

We stare into each other's eyes, and a feeling of nervousness washes over me. I'm suddenly very aware of how close Louise and I are now that she's waking up.

Her small chest is pressed to mine. One of her slender legs is somehow tangled up in mine, too.

"Did you sleep well, Michael?" Louise enquires gently, yawning.

I nod.

"I did. You?"

"Yes, surprisingly. This bed of yours is quite comfortable."

I chuckle nervously.

"Glad you're comfy down here with me."

Louise smiles faintly.

"I've just had the strangest realization, Michael," she admits.

I raise a brow.

"Oh really? What's up?"

"Now that I'm listening carefully, you have the strangest accent," she remarks.

"Strange, eh?"

"Yes. It is most unusual," Louise clarifies.

I can't help but smirk. English accents aren't very common here, I imagine.

"It's called English," I explain. "London, more specifically. As I told you before, It's where I'm from. Well, Kent, to be precise. It's about thirty miles from the capital."

"Kent... near London," Louise utters in a low tone, pondering.

"That's right. You know, it's interesting," I go on. "You and Siesta and all the other people I've met in Tristain speak a form of English. All of you the have slightest undertones to your accents as well. You more than Siesta, now that I'm listening properly."

French undertones, to be precise. I can't say where in France exactly, but I sure as heck hear it.

Well, except for when Kirche speaks. She has the slightest German twinge. It's kind of hot.