Chapter 6 - Gift

I lay huddled in a ball beneath my blankets with my legs still scrunched to my chest and shudder.

No way have I managed to get any deeper than a light sleep with this damned cold.

It's too much to bear. Way too damn much. Even the feel of my skin against my hand is way too much. When my fingers had brushed against my arm earlier, my entire arm had broken out in goosebumps.

"I can't take this shit much longer," I grumble.

My voice is rough. I'd probably sound like a sixty-year-old smoker if I'd just woke up.

I can't stand being sick. I'll probably catch a cold if I stay out here much longer.

Just then, Louise's bedroom door creaks open. The squeaking of hinges grates on me in my cold, tetchy state.

A pair of bare, dainty feet step into my line of sight. Louise then lowers onto her knees and smiles somewhat thinly at me.

"You've been punished enough, idiot," she says with a gentle undertone. "You can come back inside."

Her eyes then fall upon my blanket-covered, shivering body and I catch her grimacing slightly. Touching a hand to my cheek, she gasps.

"You're freezing..."

I nod wordlessly. Then I slowly and carefully get to my feet. My body shudders against my will. I've always had a low tolerance for cold temperatures. Hot weather's way better.

I walk into the bedroom.

Louise closes the door after me and stands there, a remorseful look in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Michael," she whispers. "I might've taken your punishment a little too far..."

"I'm okay," I reply, my teeth still chattering.

Louise nods and gestures towards her bed. "Go lay down," she instructs.

I shake my head.

"Can't go stealing your bed, Louise. Young lady like yourself down on the floor when it's this damn cold just wouldn't sit right with me."

Louise smiles at me, the faintest hint of a smirk touching her lips. Her cheeks warm a bit, too.

"Well, that's why you're going to lay down on it with me," she replies.

I pause, my brow furrowing in confusion.

"You sure it's alright, Princess?" I ask her.

"Princess...?" Louise frowns at me. "I may have to reconsider if you don't stop with that nickname."

"Right," I nod, holding back a grin. "But you're sure? Won't this be a little weird, considering how we are and all?"

Louise scoffs.

"You're just my familiar," she points out, her cheeks warming some more.

If that's how she sees it, fair enough.

"Fine by me." I chuckle. "No way will I turn down a nice warm bed when it's this damn cold."

"You're welcome." Louise smiles at me, then gestures at the bed once more.

I sit down and lay back. The sheets are very soft and silky. I know I've laid in this bed before, but I still can't get over this mattress; it's far comfier than anything I'm used to back home.

Then again, Anna and I bought half of our furniture from a discount store. So, you get what you pay for, I suppose.

"Goodnight," Louise says, walking around the bed and lying down beside me.