Chapter 25 - Royal Judgement

Dressed and prepared for the day's many royal duties, Henrietta sits by the vanity table within her Tristainian Academy chambers.

Deep in thought, she frowns at her reflection in the dresser's mirror.

Much has happened in the days since her arrival here. Perhaps a little too much, in all honesty.

Exhaling gently, the young lady closes her eyes for a brief moment.

"A princess's duties never cease, it seems," she laments with a pained smile.

"They do not, Highness," confirms Miranda, taking her place at Henrietta's side and resting a gentle hand upon her shoulder. "What's more, with civil war in Albion and the matter of Fouquet's sentencing left in your hands, I fear you will face yet greater challenges in the coming days."

"I know, Miranda. I know," Henrietta sighs.

"My lady, might I offer a suggestion?"

"Of course. What is it?"

"You have been rather stressed, Highness. Might I suggest you allay your woes by speaking with Miss Vallière? If I recall, the two of you were the closest of friends when you were little," the older woman offers, her eyes gentle.

"We...were. Yes, I think you're right," the young princess smiles slightly, the notion lifting her spirits.

"Then allow me to send her a message, Highness. I'll have come to your chamber with all due haste."

"Very well, Miranda," Henrietta's smile widens a touch. "Thank you."

"As ever, your well-being is my primary concern, Princess," Miranda smiles in turn. "Fear not, I shall always be near to guide you through difficult times."

Her dear companion's words comforting her, Henrietta rises from her chair and nods curtly.

"Although... Do not think your sneaking out a couple of days prior to speak with her eluded me, young lady," Miranda furrows her brow and pouts at the princess, resting her hands on her hips.

Henrietta jolts, shrinking somewhat into herself before gulping and offering her best innocent smile in the wake of a faint blush.

"Y-You saw me...?"

"Quite clearly."

Henrietta sighs softly.

"...And here I thought I'd been exceptionally discreet at the time. Will you tell my mother?"

"Not on this occasion, My Princess. You have had much to contend with these past few days," Miranda utters with a small huff.

"Thank you, Miranda," Henrietta sighs once more, visibly relieved.

"Not at all. However, do be warned that I will not be so forgiving should you be so foolish in the future," the older lady adds with a glare.

"Understood. Again, I'm grateful."

Miranda finally cracks a wry smile and offers Henrietta a half-bow.

"Now then, pardon me for a short time, Highness. I'll send word to Miss Vallière for you."

"Yes," Henrietta beams, watching the kind lady head for the door.

...

It isn't long at all before the door to her chambers creaks open, the click of boot heels filling the silence.

"Ah, Louise. It's good to see you," Henrietta voices with a warm smile, her eyes easing at the sight of her dear childhood friend.

"Princess Henrietta. I thank you for calling upon me," the girl replies in turn. Closing the door, she steps into the room and drops onto her hand and knee. "Do you have need of me...?"