Chapter 19 Emergency

Princess Henrietta attends a meeting of academy instructors chaired by Headmaster Osmond.

The old mage discusses Fouquet's theft of the Staff of Destruction from its rightful place in the vault during the Familiar Exhibition.

Despite requests from several senior mages and advisors that she return to the royal palace, the princess thought it only right she remained at Tristain Academy. Especially with the manhunt for Fouquette now in its second day and there having been no sightings of her so far.

Worse, Henrietta grapples with guilt over the whole terrible situation.

After all, this might not have happened had so many guards not been transferred to her protective detail during her royal visit.

Clearing her throat and standing from her chair by Osmond's desk, the future queen raises her hand to speak.

"Given the responsibility I feel toward this unfortunate incident, I feel it only prudent to offer a suggestion. So that we might broaden our search for the missing staff," says the crown princess.

Osmond nods his head and asks her to continue.

"Well sir," Henrietta says. "I believe enlisting several skilled students to aid with finding the staff may prove useful," she goes on. "Should the faculty deem doing so prudent, of course?"

Osmond considers the suggestion with a deep hum and then nods his head.

"A fine suggestion, Majesty," he muses with a thoughtful expression on his face. "However, I would politely advise that we only employ such a strategy once we have a credible lead as to the staff's location. The woodlands surrounding this institution are vast, as I'm sure you are aware."

Humbly taking her seat at the dismissal, Henrietta gives the old mage a subtle nod.

"But of course, Headmaster."

Just then, the door to Osmond's office squeaks open, and Professor Colbert steps through.

Eying the younger mage with curiosity, Osmond links his fingers into a loose clasp.

"Ah, Jean. Please do come in," he encourages the young man. "I trust you bring news regarding our ongoing search?"

Professor Colbert gives a single nod as he sits down.

"Thankfully, Headmaster, I do," he replies.

Henrietta's tummy flutters hopefully.

"Oh?" she says. "You've found the staff, then?"

The older man shakes his head.

"I'm afraid not, your highness. However, I do believe we have a lead as to the whereabouts of Fouquet."

The entire room falls into silence.

After a second or two of this, Osmond stands to his feet and places his palms on his desk.

"Tell us everything, Jean," he commands in a soft but stern voice. "It is essential that we recover such a powerful artifact at once."

Colbert stands from his seat. Clearing his throat to speak, he folds his arms behind his back.

"Of course, sir," he says. "I have just returned from re-examining the trail of destruction left behind by Fouquet's towering golem. And, as it so happens, I found a set of tracks breaking off westwards through the trees. They begin near the earthen mound where Princess Henrietta's guardsman concluded their search yesterday."

"Fascinating," Osmond breathes out. "And what did these tracks suggest?"

"Well, Headmaster, I followed them until I reached a small clearing. There, I found what appeared to be the cloak worn by Fouquet; it was nailed to a tree with a dagger and had this note in its pocket."