Chapter 2 - Sleepless Night

I can't even remember how long I've stared up at the ceiling. I can't even begin to sleep.

Is there really no way back home?

How will my dad react when he realizes I'm gone?

Will people search for me?

What if they assume the worst and think I'm dead?

All these questions and more race through my mind and make it hard to keep my breathing steady. I can feel my chest tightening and my breathing becoming the smallest bit harder.

"I need a distraction," I utter, mindful of Louise sleeping in her bed peacefully.

My iPod and my phone! I had them both in my jeans pocket before being whisked away to this strange and otherworldly place! They might still be there! I could at least check if they're all right.

I slowly and quietly creep over to the opposite side of the room where my clothes are and reach into my pockets.

To my delight, the Ipod is still there in the left pocket. My phone is on the right.

It looks fine on the outside. However, the moment I power it on, it shuts down and refuses to start up again.

"Well, that's unfortunate. I guess it's fried," I mumble, "but the iPod still seems to work. Let's see..."

I click through the menu to a photo album and start scrolling through a gallery of old memories.

The first picture is a photo of me and my dad from before his hair started turning grey.

I owe the old goat so much, even if we bicker from time to time.

"God...he'll be beside himself if I'm gone too long," I whisper.

Scrolling further up, there are pictures of me and my friend Ryan at the pub one evening. I hold a glass of rum and cola in my hand while he rolls a cigarette with a cheeky smirk.

That was an eventful night. I recall him showing up after getting dumped by his girlfriend of a few months. I tried to cheer him up and took him out for a few drinks. I can't say if he's over it. I'll have to ask him.

"What's that you have there?" asks a groggy voice off to my side.

"Jesus, Louise! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" I gasp as I look up and see the young mage staring back at me with curiosity and concern.

I point to the Ipod.

The mage girl nods with a look of intrigue and subtle fear.

"This is an Ipod. It's a kind of device that plays music, allows you to listen to music, and takes photographs," I explain.

"Photographs?" she asks.

"Right, so it takes a momentary image of something and keeps it forever. See?"

I show her a photograph of myself and Ryan at the pub.

Her eyes widen in genuine amazement at what I'm showing her.

"I-Is this box some kind of strange magical trinket...?" she utters.

I shake my head and say, "Not quite, but I suppose it's the closest thing you can call it. It's just a normal piece of technology from my world."

Louise leans in and looks over my shoulder.

"T-This strange creation... and your bizarre clothes..."

"Like I said, Louise, I honestly aren't from here. And I guess this is all the proof I can give you."