Chapter 22 - Misfire

Tabitha told me earlier that her room was to the left of Kirche's.

I mean, I'm happy with taking up the girl's offer for a little tutoring. Especially when considering I still don't have a clue how I'm actually using my magic. It's more a matter of feeling the energy coursing through my body and bringing it to life than actually understanding the specifics behind it.

Then again, maybe it's like that for all mages in Halkeginia.

Eh, best I don't overthink it and focus on the one thing I do know. We have to get the Staff of Destruction back from Fouquet.

And, since Louise can't use any magic of her own, it falls on me to keep her safe while helping Colbert, Kirche, and Tabitha.

Nodding, I stop in front of Tabitha's door and knock gently.

"Hey, Tabitha...? Not sure if you're back yet, but I'll take you up on your offer from earlier," I say in a low voice, mindful of Kirche's room being to the right.

The last thing I need when Louise is already mad at me is her most bitter rival getting involved.

"Come in, Michael," the blue-haired girl replies from beyond the door.

Tabitha's voice is gentle and quiet. It's a pleasant sound and, while it lacks the same sort of warmth I've come to associate with Siesta, it still fills me with a sense of ease.

Just as I reach for the handle, the door opens all on its own.

"Appreciate it. I'm coming in," I tell Tabitha, stepping through the doorway and into her room proper.

My eyes widen a touch at what I find inside.

Books. Books. Books. Everywhere. Stacks of them high up on the wooden bookshelves which line the walls. Some on her desk, others on her nightstand, and even some on the chairs that dot the room. It's like a damn library in here!

And, sitting on her bed in the middle of it all, is Tabitha.

Eyes still on a tome, she gives the staff in her right hand a gentle wave and shuts the door behind me.

"Glad you could make it," she says, speaking a little louder this time.

My eyes slowly pass over the room once more.

"This is quite the collection you've got here. I mean, you could build a small library with just the tomes alone," I mutter, pausing as my gaze fixates on her bed.

All four corners have a large pile of books of different sizes. It looks...unsafe. For both the bed and the books. Yet, there the mage sits. Her legs folded underneath her, the blue-haired woman quietly peruses a thick leather-bound tome's pages.

"I enjoy reading, and learning new things," Tabitha tells me. "That's why I'm at the Academy, after all."

The girl has a point there, to be fair.

And, from what I see, the fancy wardrobe across from the girl's four-poster bed is about the only item of furniture that isn't surrounded by, or stacked with books. Its doors open wide, several school uniforms are suspended on wooden hangers.

"One question," I begin, crossing my arms across my chest as I turn to face her. "How the hell do you go through them all? Do you not sleep?"

Tabitha raises her blue eyes from her book to meet mine. Her head gives a slight tilt as she seems to process the question.

"I'm a quick reader," she eventually tells me.

I can't help but smirk at her honestly.

"Yeah, I reckon you are. Anyway, are we still good for a little tutoring?"