Chapter 13 - Separation

I sit down in the chair beside my mattress bed and let out a deep sigh.

Walking around the Academy has my heart thumping. I'm seriously beat!

"Lunch is ordered, just as you asked, Louise," I inform the pinkette. My mouth breaks into a sarcastic grin as I glance over to the girl, who sits down by her study desk. "Say, did you actually change anything around in here while I was gone? It literally looks no different."

"Oh, be quiet, you," Louise mutters, averting her face. "I'll have you know that I moved my bed half a foot nearer the window, so you have more space down there on the floor."

"Really now?" I follow with a raised brow. "And just how did you manage that, given the size of your bed and all?" I ask with a straight face, pointing at the large four-poster.

"With the help of two passing servants, as it happens," the petite mage proudly explains as I can only roll my eyes. "The two were out in the hall shortly after you left for the kitchens and I asked them for assistance," Louise continues, holding her chin high. "They were both very understanding regarding my plight, and very respectful, too."

"Sure, of course they were," I smirk, scoffing low. "Anyhow, something interesting happened while I was coming back from the kitchens."

I lean in toward Louise and put on a more serious expression. "I found Guiche and Montmorency arguing."

"Really now? Is Montmorency alright?" Louise asks with a hint of worry, her brow furrowing.

"She's fine, Louise. From what I gather, Guiche was upset after his cheating got out and he was trying to beg Montmorency into taking him back," I recount in an ironic tone. "She refused him. Probably sick of him treating her like garbage."

Louise nods her head, showing surprising amounts of empathy.

"Quite so, indeed," the girl concedes, frowning. "I... am also feeling remorseful over doing nothing during the time they were together. A part of me wishes I had reached out to Montmorency when rumours first reached my ears..."

"But you said nothing because she and Kirche picked on you, I'm guessing?" I say, thoughtfully narrowing my eyes a little bit. "If that's the case then I get it, Louise."

The pinkette closes her eyes tightly and lets out a deep sigh, nodding.

"Tell that to my conscience," she says in a low, ashamed tone.

I shake my head, getting where she's coming from.

"We are where we are, Louise. And besides, you and Montmerancy are friends now. That has to be worth something, hmm?"

"You are right," the noble agrees at last, lowering her head and letting out a pained breath. "We are on good terms, at least. In no small part due to your reckless antics."

I throw Louise an amused smile.

Louise simply tightens her gaze and frowns.

"It isn't funny, you idiot."

I wink for Princess.

"You're just jealous because it wasn't you I was duelling over."

Louise narrows her eyes angrily and then shakes her head, her cheeks flushing pink.

"K-Keep telling yourself that, Familiar."

...

There comes a knock at Louise's bedroom door.

A moment passes. Then, one of the Academy's many servants opens the door and wheels in a silver trolley carrying our lunch.

My stomach growls at the wonderful smells on offer. Two fairly-sized glass bowls filled with a warm, chunky potato soup sit on top of the trolley. Fresh butter drips down onto a golden tray containing mouthwatering buttered rolls. My stomach growls once more.