Chapter 14 - Heart-to-Heart

Montmorency opens up her bedroom door, stands to the side, and holds out an arm in presentation after bowing her head politely

"There we go. Please, do feel welcome in my humble abode."

"I'm grateful, Montmorency, thanks," I say, stepping through the open doorway.

My eyes widen at what I find inside.

These nobles sure don't do things in half measures.

The blonde girl's room is similar in shape and size to Louise's, though the wall to the left is totally taken up by a series of massive glass cabinets, each packed full of delicate-looking, glass vials, flasks, potions, and the like. There are candles placed sporadically about the room on holders, and numerous magical tomes and volumes are strewn everywhere. The relaxing scent of lavender incense hangs in the air, also.

There is a large bed on the right side of the room, which lies next to the window. I notice a small pile of black nightgowns sitting at its foot. The covers are a royal purple, the same as the dark curtains. And below the bed, on the floor, rests a patterned, woven, orange, black, and brown rug.

A large mahogany wardrobe with its doors opened wide is pushed up to the wall beside the bed. A pair of elegant knee-length black cocktail dresses are suspended from wooden hangers inside.

"I hope this place is to your liking," Montmorency says to me from just outside the doorway.

I whistle, genuinely impressed by the place.

"It's nice and lived in. Honestly, I prefer that in a room."

Stepping in fully, the sweet noble girl sets her hands on my shoulders after shutting the door. When I turn to face her, she sighs with an exhausted shake of the head.

"I'm truly sorry for that all of that happened out there, Michael. Despite his being somewhat dramatic, even I didn't expect Guiche to react the way he did when I ended our relationship."

I dismiss the apology with a wave of the hand. "It's alright. He's embarrassed, and, even though I hate to admit it, feels hurt. Partly because of me."

Smiling grimly, I give the floor a brief glance. "Like I said earlier, I went through the same sorta thing you did with Guiche with my ex. So, I have all the sympathy in the world for you, Montmorency."

Montmorency steps closer and slides her arms around me. I return the hug warmly.

Once we release each other, the beautiful mage gives a big, satisfied, almost flirtatious grin.

"Well, that being as it may, I am pleased to finally be done with all of it. And, on a lighter note, I should probably change and prepare a spot for you to sleep in for the evening." She walks across the room and collects one of the nightgowns from the pile at the foot of her bed. When she looks over her shoulder, her devious smirk grows in size. "Though I would kindly ask that you turn away while I undress, of course."

Oh man. Wow. A part of me seriously wonders how much of the kiss we shared was staged with her being so flirty!

Instead of voicing as much, I avert my eyes and lift my hand in obligatory, solemn duty.

"Aye, mam."

As Montmorency gets undressed, I turn my back and fold my arms.

My heartbeat quickens as I hear rustling fabric and the faint twang of elastic behind.

"I appreciate your understanding and sensitivity, Michael," she says after a bit. "Most young noblemen would have had no issue with observing as I disrobed before them."