Chapter 21 - Lecture

Professor Colbert and Headmaster Osmond step through the large wooden doors leading inside Tristain Academy's inner vault.

In light of Fouquet's recent theft, royal soldiers stand guard down the length of the corridor.

The younger of the two men keeps a steady pace so the older headmaster might keep up with his cane.

"It is as I said, Headmaster, the young man bares the Guardian's Mark," Colbert reaffirms, nodding his head. "With this in mind, I believe Simon de Mont's possessions may serve him well."

"I trust your judgment on the matter, though for the time being, I would request you allow me to ask questions of the young man," Osmond says, walking with his trusty wooden cane. "After your lesson with him concludes, naturally. The Coordinator Glove is a powerful artifact, after all."

"Certainly, Headmaster."

Finally, the two reach the end of the hall.

A pair of guards, each standing watch at one side of the door, nods for the duo. The one standing to the door's left-hand side then gets to work releasing the series of sturdy locks on both sides. Once finished, his comrade to the right heaves the doors open for the two mages.

Both Colbert and Osmond step through and arrive at the head of a downward-leading spiral staircase.

"I shall wait up here for you, Jean," says the elder of the two men, leaning by the guarding wall overlooking the deep, treasure-filled chamber far below. "I have had quite enough of stairs for today."

Colbert bows, respectfully dismissing himself as he proceeds down the dimly lit stairwell. As he goes on, his eyes adjust to the sight and he comes to see the extent of the vault's contents.

Rows and rows of statues line each wall leading into the distance, statues of distinguished former Academy headmasters past. They look at everything and nothing in particular, all alike. A good several dozen statues watch the vault as a whole. At the room's center sit a series of chests and dusty boxes, each containing treasures of immense value.

Before long, Colbert arrives at an ornately jeweled chest beside an unhatched and dust-covered rhyme dragon's egg. Inscribed within the box's face, are words in eulogy to its former owner.

"'Treasured possessions of Simon de Mont, a Guardian, and gallant protector,'" he reads the small inscription aloud, "'Lost to our world, and now kept in memories.'"

Beneath the brief passage is the image of a robed man kneeling. Colbert sees the faint silhouette of a raven-esque creature perched on his shoulder.

"If what Osmond says is true, then you are a man worthy of the utmost respect," Colbert says as he places a hand atop the chest.

Then, with a stern nod, the instructor lifts away the chest's lid and places it down on the floor. There, inside, is a single black silk glove.

Colbert feels its vast magical energies swirling even as he reaches out to touch the item, let alone when he places his hand upon it.

"Why is it like this...?" he asks aloud, holding it aloft. "This... and the Guardian's runes..."

Letting the glove dangle loosely from his fingers, he reaches over towards the rhyme dragon's egg and uses his free hand to gently roll it over from its back. Scratched across its front and engraved into its shell are runes unique to those of the Guardians - the same meteor-like insignia etched into the back of young Michael's hand.

"You must be very lonely in this room," Colbert muses as he sets the egg back down. "Far from home, and waiting all of these years to hatch... Longer than most of our students today have been alive if the rumors are true."