Chapter Fifteen

"Pablo, I'm here!" I shout as I enter the front door.

"I'm upstairs, wait a sec!" He shouted back so I can hear him. I climb up the stairs and he smiles when he sees me. "Hey Rosalía."

"Hey." I smile back. "Are you ready?"

He nods as he grabs a bang of his and loops in through his arm, before sitting up from his bed and standing with his crutches.

"Let me take this." I grabbed his bag even though he protested, and we climbed into my car after locking Pedri's house.

"So, tell me about who we're playing against today." I asked as I backed away from the driveway.

He put his seatbelt on and make his knee comfortable. "I mean, it's not a great team either, but this season we have to be ready for anything."

"What's their name?" I flick my blinker and turn towards the stadium.

"Rayo Vallecano. We should win." He looked out his window as he thought for a moment. "I think they'll win 3-1." I dont know what to say to that so I concentrate on the road ahead after nodding to his words. "How was your day? Pedri told me you had class."

I sighed. "It was boring, like usual." He seemed to laugh.

"How's it like? University, I mean." He seems to genuinely ask.

"It's fine. Just like school but it seems more chill at first until you realise it's really not." We pull up in the parking lot.

I open Pablo's door even though he scolds at me saying he can do it himself. We head to the stands, after stopping to grab something to eat.

"Wow." I say as we sit down.

I look around and feel that heart tightening feeling of being in a stadium for the first time.

"It's quite cool, huh." Pablo laughs.

"Yeah, it is." I have to force myself to close my mouth. "When does the match start?"

And just as Pablo was about to reply, the players come out on the field and pose for the team photos.

(...)

The math against Rayo was officially finished, and Barcelona had tied 1-1, scoring in the last minutes. Pablo had taught me the offside rule, which was much easier to understand than I thought.

Pablo got up and started walking back up the stadium as I followed behind him. Her lead me to a corridor where a guard let him pass, and then I recognised the locker rooms.

I sat at a bench right next to its door, and Pablo looked at me. "Aren't you coming inside?"

"To suffocate in the smell of sweat, no thanks." He laughed, shaking his head as he pushed the door open and hopping inside.

I grabbed my phone and sent a message to Mika. She was okay with me being friends with Pablo even after what he did to her and I was quite thankful. I did feel resentful at first towards Pablo, but it's not my story and I decided to move forward.

"He said he'd hurry up but I highly doubt it." Pablo said as he plopped down next to me. "Who are you texting?" He asked after I had just hummed at his statement.

"I'm texting-"

But he had already peeped over my shoulder. "Oh."

"Yeah." I sighed as I rested my back on the bench, looking at the ceiling as I turned my phone off.

"How's she doing?" He asked, too casually.