Chapter 16

"And then, when the scumbag came home, he drank all our booze and left! I warned mom to stay away from him, but she never listens to me. 'You're a child. I'm an adult' Yeah! An adult who has crappy taste in men!"

I nod listening as Alfred ranted on about his most recent fight with our mom. Apparently it had gone pretty bad because it had gotten his car taken away on the last day of school. I felt bad as I listened to him, knowing I'd have to tell him I wasn't taking the bus home, and instead going to hang out Feliciano.

Snapping out of my thoughts as he asked me a question I saw him staring at me expectantly. I just blinked back at him cluelessly.

"I'm sorry what?" He only stared at me for a moment before sighing loudly.

"Mattie! Why are you so zoned! Are you excited for the last day of school or something?" Chewing my lip, I weakly nodded my head and watched as Alfred beamed at me.

"Well Mom invited you to come over after school today! She said we were having a campfire! You coming?"

I blinked looked down the guilt making me bite down harder on my lip. "I actually agreed to go out with Feli today and hang out... we don't do that much..."

I watched as Alfred deflated and nodded. Blushing slightly I stammered to say something. I don't see my mom.... ever, but I agreed to spend time with Feliciano a long time ago! Tucking a stray tuff of hair behind my ear I sighed. "I'm really sorry..."

It was only worse when Alfred just shrugged and turned away. "No dude. It's totally fine. I understand...." He didn't, it was notable in his voice he didn't. He was avoiding starting another fight. "Okay."
___________________

"Ve~ Hey Matteo!"

"Hey Feli."

The greetings were sheepish yet friendly as he hugged me tightly and we both laughed lightly. Although Francis claimed the title, I trusted Feliciano more when he claimed himself as a "love expert".

And a love expert he was. Although most time he was blind to it for himself.

Now why did I go from talking about greetings to Feli being a "love expert", well that's simple.

Lovino was in love.

You see as children Feliciano would set up a stand and charge a nickel for people to come up to him and discuss their relationship problems. I would be the assistant to hand the Kleenex's, get lemonade, and snacks, and anything else they needed.

One day Lovino decided to sit in the chair. He asked his brother "So what the Hell is the meaning of love anyway?"

Both me and Feli were stunned. Feliciano quickly recovered, looking to his brother with a smile and easily described what love was.

"Love, is when you see the person and feel the butterflies in your stomach that make it all twisty. When you think about them and just smile and smile, and can't wait to see their face again. Love is when you want to hug them and hug them, and never let them go."

Of course it was a very accurate description for a third grader, but anyways that's what love meant.

And Lovino felt all of it and more.

What I find weird is how the definition of love changes with age.

What I find weird is how the definition of love can give you a broken nose.

"Shut up bastard and tell how love feels!"

"Stop hitting me~"

We never closed down the business we set up in third grade. We just kind of.... stopped doing it so frequently and started taking appointments.