Chapter 22

"So what was that about in the kitchen?"

"Nothing, for the last time stop asking."

Sitting next to Gilbert wasn't as soothing as I imagined it as we rode to the party which appeared to be in the middle of fricking nowhere, as this is the third forest we have driven past already. Sighing and sliding down in my seat, Gilbert glanced over at me, a fond smile on his face before he looked out the windshield again.

"Are we almost there? We're in the middle of nowhere."

Rolling my eyes as his smile grew into a wide grin he chirped "Yup! I hope you like the great outdoors shortie!"

Wrinkling my nose at the nickname, I sat up a little because the subtle ache that began to grow in my back.

"Okay, cool. I love the middle of nowhere." I grumbled, trying to hide the slight purse of my lips.

"Oh, come on Mattie! Don't be so salty."

"Salty? Like the ocean?" I mutter, more to myself than him.

"No dummkopf! It means, like, don't be so crabby!" Gilbert said, unable to hide the amusement from his eyes.

"Then why didn't you just say 'don't be so crabby?'"

"Oh shut up!" Gilbert snapped, although he sounded more amused than irritated at the moment as he smiled and looked at the road.
______________________________

He didnt lie when he said we'd be at the party soon. He also didn't lie when he said it would be out in the middle of nowhere.

When we stepped out of the car I saw the fire outside the house that people were standing next to, beer bottle in their hand as they grinned and waved over to Gilbert.

Then was all the trees that seemed to be fricking everywhere. Even in the front yard they were everywhere! Like Jesus Christ, I don't understand why someone would desire to have so many trees.

Finally I looked at the house. Let me tell you, that house was huge. And it wasn't just huge, it was huge! You could fit a little over one thousand people in there and that's a small estimate. Okay maybe I'm overreacting a little on the size of the house but it wasn't small.

Blinking out of my thoughts and observations, Gilbert gently bumped my elbow to urge me forward I felt an anxiety grow.

If they had this many trees, and that big of house then this party was going to be huge. I wasn't a people person, and I wasn't interested in changing that tonight.

Glancing at Gilbert with large eyes he simply flashed me an encouraging grin and boy did my heart skip a beat or two. This time it might not be my crush on him doing that, but the fact that I'm having a small heart attack on the sheer amount of people just in the windows.

This was going to go on the list of bad ideas that seemed good when you made the decision along with giving Kumamario a haircut myself.

"Ready to go into the house?" Gilbert asked softly, I guess he was starting to sense my anxiety.

"No, not really..."

"Well suck it up, we didn't drive all the way out here to leave. I want to at least get three rounds in."

Staring as he grabbed my hand and tugged me into the sea of people I began to question my feelings for this guy.

This also meant I was going to be driving home tonight.

After a few moments I had lost Gilbert in the crowd, and this was becoming my worst nightmare as people in various stages of intoxication began to walk up to me and flirt. The only thing I could think to do is go into the corner of the room where I saw furniture and try to ignore the people vacuuming each others faces.