Chapter 24

I was the happiest when I was with Gilbert. Absolutely floating on air, glowing and radiant with the emotion.

It was the best thing I could ever imagine to have happen to me. The only bad thing were the secrets. Long distance travels far from town to go on a nice dinner together and not have to worry about the accusing eyes that would glare suspectingly. Smiling and lying through my teeth as I insist to my mother that we are nothing but friends, then disappearing into my bedroom so I could cuddle in his arms as we watched movies.

Everything was perfect, except when it couldn't quite be.

It was disappointing to walk down the street without holding hands, and making sure we were just the right distance from each other. It was hard when we had to make sure that we were in complete isolation so no one could see him simply kiss my cheek.

The worst was having to watch Gilbert flirt with other girls because he was "single". Watching him flirt with them, and feeling like maybe he didn't actually have feelings for me.

Although every chance he could, the albino would place soft touches on my arm, gently and quickly rub my back, make a soft glance my direction. He did love me. I mean, I made it sound like our relationship was really physical, but it wasn't.

The soft touches were what others would consider friendly gestures, maybe a few kisses on the cheek and cuddles in bed.... but the real bliss of our relationship were our emotions.

For someone I first deemed as ignorant and self centered, he proved my every thought wrong. He was attentive, knowing when I was upset. Gilbert was also deemed more observant than he looked, the albino often gifting random things I have briefly mentioned I enjoyed.

In fact, one day he sat in during hockey practice, telling me he wanted to get to know my hobbies more. I couldn't really control him, telling him it was fine.

It turned out I had a horrible time that practice. Ivan was in a bad mood, and I was a victim. Not that he hurt me purposely, but I listened to him complain and take out his anger. Sadly I was a victim to he anger as when I passed the puck to him, he mistakenly smacked it back to me, hitting my face.

I was wearing a helmet that didn't offer full facial protection (my good one broken and being repaired from other incidents that happened) but a helmet with plastic that only reached to cover my nose.

At the angle of impact I knew it had hit me, and my jaw and teeth weren't happy. I immediately buckled from the pain in my mouth, and couldn't tell the outrage my body felt when someone from the JV team accidentally tripped over me. Flanking someone too close to steal the puck can have that affect, the affect of tripping over your fallen teammate that it.

To say the least, half of my face was swollen to beat hell, I was taken to the hospital, got four stitches, scheduled a dentist appointment, and took off practice for the rest of the week. I also had to ward off Ivan's constant apologies, and stop him and Gilbert from duking it out because I was accidentally injured.

Camped in bed at my dad's house, Gilbert would visit me everyday after he got off of work. He brought my favorite food, a new balloon, a dog treat for Kuma and a small bear everytime he came. The last two days he faked being sick and lounged in my bed as my dad was away on a business trip.

"Even with your face banged up, you're cute." He murmured with a soft chuckle, gently smoothing my hair back. "Do you feel cute?"

"I feel pain." I whipsered back, before he placed a careful kiss on my swollen, wrapped up cheek. I only winced a little.

The whole two days he'd put on my favorite show, and whisper sweet things into my ear. He'd grab me food and water, anything I wanted. The sweetest thing was what he read to me at night. His "journal".

I can't remember the passages too well, just the summaries. Well, except one passage.

August 3rd

Dear journal,

I am awesome. I am absolutely amazing. I recently discovered I am a raging bisexual, but that's okay. Because that still means I like women. You see though, I just asked out Matthew, the cute little dude I've been talking about, again. This time he said yes. It's cheesy as hell when you think about it, my life is like that in a book or movie or some shit. But you know how they say you know when you're in love? I think I am. I am judging myself so hard for the sappiness but I am! Matthew friggen Williams! And the more I know, the more I hang out with him, the more I want him to only be mine. That kid has the softest skin. He is literally the best smelling person I know. I can't wait to know what it is going to be like to kiss those lips. They look so soft and he has them in the tiniest pout a lot. He's just adorable. I can't wait to know what he's like in bed too, but that's for my dream journal.
- Tschüss

He told me not to laugh as he read it, and I didn't. Only when Gilbert did. When the passage was done I couldn't help but smile as I looked at him.

"Gilbert, when's your birthday?" I asked softly, careful of my injury.

"January 18th, why?"

"Can I give you a late birthday present?" He seemed shell shocked, looking around to see what I could possibly have from him. Eventually his gaze rested on me and he nodded, causing me to shift nervously.

"Um... it might not be the best, or what you imagined, but close your eyes and hold out your hands."

He was intrigued as he eagerly complied to my request. Taking a deep breath I carefully put one hand on my uninjured cheek, and the other so the space between his thumb and fingers cupped my ear, and his hand was in my hair. Awkwardly, I leaned forward.

Softly, as gentle as I could I kissed him. It was amazing. He seemed to freeze, before knowing exactly what to do, lips gently taking lead. His were soft, and mine were chapped. He felt relaxed, blissful in the kiss while I felt numb, stiff and awkward.

Gilbert pulled away though with a smile, whispering "That was better than I dreamed, kissing the blush that rose and grabbing his journal. Gilbert quickly gave me the pen so I held it as if I were going to write, then put his hand over mine.

August 18th

He whispered the words softly into my ear the words as we wrote them together.

"Dear journal,

I am awesome. Possibly the most awesome person to ever exist. And today I'm also the luckiest. I've been reading what's in you to Matthew lately, and he decided to give me the best present I've ever recieved. It might be eight months late, but I could have never imagined a better birthday present. It was a kiss. More awesome than what I described in my dreams. Even when his lips are chapped they are soft, his expression was what the definition of beauty is. The best part is, it's better than any kiss from any chick I've ever recieved. I'm in love with what I would call an angel. Matthew Williams, as we write this, I want you to know. I do not just love you. I am in love with you."