Chapter 6

'I cry silently to myself, wiping my tears away even when they continue to fall

'I cry silently to myself, wiping my tears away even when they continue to fall. I didn't choose for this to happen. I didn't choose to fall in love. All I ever dared to do was dream, so why am I being punished for this? It's unfair. It is so, so unfair.

So lost as I was in my own sorrow, I didn't even notice when he arrived like some knight in shining armor. My knight in shining armor.'

- An Excerpt from Don't Blame a Daydreamer, Marianne's POV

Naomi flinched at seeing the cold glare Calix fixed on the two men, effectively silencing the entire room

That glare—it looked so awfully familiar.

It felt as though a chilly breeze just passed through them, making them shiver. The two men simply went pale, alarm making their eyes broaden into saucers at seeing Calix intervene. It seemed as if time paused as they waited for Calix to react.

Finally, he spoke, his voice crisp and clear as it resonated in the silent room.

"I wasn't aware that such animals were employed in this respectable place." He basically threw the man's wrist away, a 'tsk' sound escaping his mouth.

"A-animals?" the one on the left stuttered as his friend retreated a step back, cradling the wrist Calix held a second ago. Immediately, he adorned a wry smile, hands clasped together as he made himself small.

Naomi did not mask her scoff. She didn't need to ask to know he was adopting an image of an obedient subordinate who was trying to appease a superior.

"Sir Frost, you're mistaken," the man said with a simper, trying to get into Calix's good graces. "We were simply offering a contract to the girl. We weren't doing anything wrong."

"So, not only were you harassing a young girl, but you're also insulting my intelligence?" Calix certainly didn't hesitate to throw punches with his words. He was blunt and biting, allowing no one to bypass his walls. "Are you saying that I'm stupid to not realize or guess your intentions towards her?"

"N-no, that wasn't what I meant, Sir!" the man hastily explained, his voice containing sheer panic. He looked side to side, frantically looking for help. When no one offered—not even his friend who stubbornly stayed behind him, avoiding Calix's glare—he turned back to Calix. "We're not insulting your intelligence, we were simply saying that—that, uh, that we were merely—"