Chapter 15

'I've always thought that falling in love was the most exhilarating thing that I've ever done

But Rowen proves me wrong when he returns my love.

Falling in love isn't the most exhilarating thing; having the person I love return the same affection is.'

- An Excerpt from Don't Blame a Daydreamer, Marianne's POV

The moment Naomi got home, she headed straight towards her bedroom, dismissing Hannah and the other maids, wanting nothing more than to enjoy the calm and quiet and let her mind relax under all the pressure she'd been throughout the day

Her socked feet padded across the carpeted floor of her bedroom, going closer to the vanity mirror. But it wasn't her reflection she was looking at. Her gaze was drawn to the ripped piece of paper she taped onto the mercurial surface of the mirror. She reached a hand out, her fingers brushing softly against the neatly written string of numbers.

For the life of her, she couldn't bring herself to throw the paper away even after saving the number in her phone. How could she? Looking at the piece of paper reminded her that her husband was here with her, albeit he didn't know the bit about being her husband yet.

"There isn't a minute that goes by when I don't miss you," Naomi said quietly to herself, allowing herself this chance to wallow in her self-pity, guilt, longing, and sorrow.

It was only yesterday when she learned that her husband was here, and discovered he was the Unknown Variable that entered the circle with her. He defied the odds himself and became something else entirely—something like her, but not quite her either.

Remembering the kind of existence Calix held in this circle still had Naomi's mind reeling.

Other than her, he was the sole person capable of interfering with the plot without facing deadly consequences. His existence in this circle was ambiguous since his character design had been completely erased and rewritten, although his original character remained present in the novel itself. He was akin to an untouchable glitch; an anomaly not even the System could counter.