Chapter 8.5

'Calix is meant to reach for the stars, because he is the sun

'Calix is meant to reach for the stars, because he is the sun.'

- An Excerpt from Don't Blame a Daydreamer, Marianne's POV

Calix had been staring intently at his phone for the last hour

Whenever the screen lit up to display a new notification, the young A-List celebrity would stiffen his back in attention, posture brimming with anticipation, only to deflate later on, slumping in his seat. It was a vicious and dizzying cycle to watch, because the disappointment that lingered on his face grew more pronounced the longer it went on.

Eric had been watching him the moment the meeting began, his eyebrows knitted in pure confusion. As the songwriters, producers, and band members talked among themselves, pitching ideas and concepts for Calix's next album, Calix was hardly contributing, his focus aimed towards his phone instead with such uncharacteristic fervid intent.

It was quite strange.

Usually, Calix would be an active participant during important discussions about his work, but he seemed to be distracted today. Although he wasn't inattentive to the point of ignoring the important matters discussed in the meeting, he was quieter and more absentminded.

As Calix's Personal Assistant since his debut, it would not be presumptuous to say Eric knew him quite well by now to know that he was acting oddly.

Calix was only eight years old when he entered the entertainment industry as a child actor, coming from a family of entertainers and performers himself. The Frost family created a lasting dynasty in the industry, and with such legacy on Calix's shoulders, it was hardly surprising how talented and gifted the young boy was.

His mother hired Eric back when he was twenty years old to take care of the young child of the Frost family, both in personal and professional matters. Eric had been watching him for a long time to know his behavioral patterns and routines as well as the back of his hand. Calix was not only a client for him, but he was also a dear friend, a close little brother, and in some cases, his son as well. He watched the young boy grow up into a fine young man. He was there for every milestone in his life. To witness him acting more differently than usual threw him off guard.