Chapter Two: A Locked Door and Conversations

Charlotte had fallen asleep on the bed, her feet still hanging off and touching the floor. Lockwood had come up to the attic to tell the girl that dinner was ready but upon seeing her fast asleep he decided it would be best to let her sleep. He noticed how when she was asleep she seemed more at peace. Calmer. Like there was nothing worrying her. He found a blanket and threw it over her and let her sleep.

Charlotte woke up and the setting sun had fully set now. She looked over at the clock to see that it was almost 11 p.m. She took off the blanket that she didn't remember snuggling under and made her way to the bathroom. Her hair had come out of its braids a lot more than this morning so she took out the bands holding them in place and untangled the curls. She put the bands around her wrist before making her way down to the lower levels of the house. She really needed a drink and something to eat. She walked down the stairs and opened the door to the landing. As she walked past the sealed door on the landing she paused to look at it. She wouldn't deny saying that she wanted to open it and look inside but she knew that she wouldn't want someone opening her secrets. She reached the floor with the boy's bedrooms on it and stood there looking at the sealed door for another moment.

"I know what you're thinking." A voice came from the side of her. She turned to see George in quite a large oversized shirt and she hoped he was wearing some boxers.

"I'm not-" Charlotte started but was cut off by George again.

"It's forbidden."

"I know. I'm sorry." Charlotte apologized. Although she didn't know why. She hadn't done anything wrong. "I was just gonna get some food and something to drink. Lockwood said he was gonna come get me but I fell asleep."

"You'll have more luck in the kitchen," George said, a bit hostile. Charlotte looked at the locked door once more.

"Do you know why he keeps it like that?" She asked, turning back to the pantless boy in front of her.

"I've no idea."

"How long have you lived here?" George simply kept staring at her, emotionless.

"About a year."

"Oh, so you know Lockwood pretty well?" She asked.

"Well enough."
"Okay then. I assume the house belonged to his-" She was cut off by George who spoke again.

"To his parents? Why don't you ask him yourself? He's usually in the library at this time of night. He'll be less desperate for the lavatory than I am right now. So if you'd excuse me." George said, pushing his way past the confused blonde-haired girl, leaving her in a bit of shock.

"Geez what did I do to you?" Charlotte mumbled as she walked down the stairs again to reach the main floor of the house. As she reached the floor she could hear some soft music coming from the library where George said Lockwood would be. The door was mostly closed with a little crack open. She pushed the door open a little bit and saw Lockwood sitting on a chair reading what looked like a magazine. She went to turn and leave but then her curiosity got the better of her and she pushed the door all the way open and walked in a little bit. "Hello."

Lockwood turned at the sound of his newest employee's voice. He closed the magazine he was reading, keeping one finger to keep his place.

"Oh. Hello. I thought you'd be asleep still." He said. He then got up from out of his seat. Charlotte noticed he had lost his tie and jacket and had rolled up the sleeves of his shirt a little bit.

"Sorry, am I interrupting? I only just woke up and now I'm a bit hungry." She started.

"No. No, not at all. Do you want to get some food? I believe George put some leftovers in the fridge. We also have the stuff for sandwiches if you're not up to that?" Lockwood asked. Charlotte nodded before she turned for the kitchen. Lockwood followed her to help her out. He made his way over to the fridge and opened it up. The artificial light flooded the room but was soon dimmed as the door shut again.
"It's just some pasta. Bolognaise." Lockwood said.