Chapter Eleven: The Fittes at 50 Ball

The cab slowly pulled up to the front of the Fittes building. There were cars everywhere and lots of people dressed up fancy for the event. The cab pulled to a stop and Lockwood opened Charlotte's door, before helping her out. Charlotte was grateful for the long sleeves of her dress as a breeze rushed through the carpark. The cab drove off as Lockwood and Charlotte walked up the steps to the famous building. The doors to the building were open, despite the fact that it was now dark and there could be visitors anywhere. Lockwood led Charlotte down the stairs into the main room which was packed with people despite the fact that the two were on time. Music played softly throughout the room as the band sat up on a little outcropping at the front of the room. Charlotte thanked the waiter who handed her a glass of champagne. She took it with a thankful look to the waiter before taking a sip. She caught up with Lockwood who had paused to look at the crowd.

"We should probably do some mingling first, yeah?" Lockwood asked. He turned to look at the girl who was turning around to look at the entire room. Make it look like we actually came for the party."

"Great." The girl said with a roll of her eyes. "Two of my favorite things. Posh people and small talk."

Charlotte looked around the room, taking another sip from her champagne glass, when her eyes caught on massive pillars which had what looked to be visitors trapped behind silver glass.

"Geez, are those things sources?" Charlotte asked. Lockwood turned around to where she was looking.

"Ah, the famous relic columns!" Lockwood told her. She scrunched her nose up at them. "Not a fan? Penelope's never let danger or good taste get in the way of her family's legacy. Oh speak of the devil."

Lockwood nodded his head to the balcony where Penelope Fittes stood with others in her social group. She was wearing a silver ball dress with a beautiful necklace around her neck. Charlotte quickly looked away as Penelope looked at her.

"I think she saw me." Charlotte then noticed Lockwood had raised his hand at Penelope and waved. Charlotte quickly pulled it down. "What are you doing?"

"What?" Lockwood laughed as she just glared at him. "She's just a normal person. She's no more special than you or me."

"Lockwood, I sleep in a loft." Charlotte told him.

"Well, no more special than me then, love." Lockwood smiled. A waiter came past with a tray of food but Charlotte denied him. She did however give him the flute of champagne that was now mostly empty. Lockwood did the same and the waiter gave the two a nod and kept walking. Charlotte looked around the room once more. There were a few people swaying to the music that was being played.
"Do you like dancing?" She asked, ignoring common sense. She was in love with her boss, they were at a ball and she was asking him if he liked dancing. What had happened in her life? Maybe it was the champagne giving her the courage.

"No."

"Oh." Charlotte said, surprised. "Okay."

"Ask me anyway." He countered. Charlotte hesitated.

"Will you dance with me?"

"Yes."

Lockwood took Charlotte by the hand and led her further into the room. Lockwood placed one hand on her waist and the other in Charlotte's hand. They started swaying to the music and they were silent as they danced. As the music swelled, they moved together in perfect harmony, their bodies swaying in time to the rhythm. Lockwood twirled Charlotte around, and they both laughed in delight.

"I haven't heard you laugh like that before." Lockwood said as he pulled her back to him.

"I haven't had something to laugh like that for." Charlotte told him. Lockwood smiled at her. "So thank you."
"For what?" Lockwood asked, tilting his head.