Chapter Five: Letters to the Dead

Hey Minion.
You'd never guess where I am. I kept our promise. I went to London. Fittes and Rotwell wouldn't even look at me so I've ended up - I don't even really know where I've ended up. It was the last place on my list and it's run by some posh boy who thinks he's God's gift and his weird mate with like zero social skills. I think you'd like George. He's nice enough when he's not being weird. Last night I burnt a house down while we were fighting a Type Two. Lockwood nearly got ghost touched and it took me back. To when you died. The night I lost both of you. It was the first thing I could think of. To get the Ghost to go away. I couldn't lose another person to ghost touch. Not again. When I made contact with the ghost, her name is Annabel, it was like I felt something that I've never felt before. You always said that you thought my Talents were stronger than the rest and I never believed you. But I think now I do. It was like she was inside my head. Like she needed me. I had to help her. Lockwood wasn't listening to me at all but I just had to help her. Like how I should have helped you.

I couldn't even stay at your funeral Felicity. I ran half way through when they were lowering you into the ground. Of course by the time I got home my drunk excuse of a father was there yelling at me. You always made me feel safe from him when he was in a mood like this. He started yelling about how I had killed my mum and that my curse struck again and I killed you and caused Toby's ghost lock. He threw an empty bottle at the wall and it smashed but it didn't hit me. I went to my room and just threw as much stuff into my bags as I could before I threw them out the window. Then I left.

My curse almost struck again last night, and now I don't know what to do. I almost killed Lockwood. If it wasn't the ghost touch that would have killed him it would be the burning building or the 20 foot fall off the building. I don't know what I'm doing here, minion. You should be here with me and we should be at Fittes or Rotwell. We shouldn't be separated by six feet of earth. I think I might be losing it and without you I don't know if I'll be able to find it again.

I love you Felicity. I hope you are safe.

Charlotte put her pen down and slid the letter into the folder she had bought the other day. She had gotten out of the bath and had come upstairs to get changed once more. She felt a drop of water fall onto     her hand and realised she had started crying. She wiped at her face as the tears fell. She placed the folder in the drawer at the desk she was sitting at in her room in the attic. The papers that George had found where still on her floor, along with the daisies that she had discarded on her rush to the bath. Charlotte grabbed her cassette player and slotted in a tape that she loved. She pressed play and quickly The Bee Jee's started playing throughout the room. Charlotte's jacket was sitting on the floor, having been chucked there after she had grabbed the flowers. Charlotte grabbed the ring out of the pocket and sat down on the bed. She studied the ring as she held it up to the light. The ring was gold and had emeralds set into it. It was a very pretty ring and if it wasn't a source, Charlotte would have considered wearing it. She brought the ring down from the light and flopped back onto her bed. She brought her arm, the one that wasn't holding the ring, over her eyes as the events of the last 24 hours caught up to her. With 'How Deep is Your Love' playing softly in the background, Charlotte found herself drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

»»————-  ————-««

"Come in." Lockwood said, at the knock at his door. George opened the door and placed a tray of Ghormeh Sabzi on the desk. There was also a newspaper sat folded on the tray and Lockwood knew what was about to come. He sat down at the desk and pulled the tray closer to him.

"Thanks. It looks great." Lockwood said, starting to mix it with some of the rice. He knew that George was still pissed about the entire ordeal and hoped that complimenting his cooking would help lower the temper tantrum that was surely about to come. George scoffed and rolled his eyes.