Chapter Fourteen: Funerals and Qualifications

A couple of days had gone by and the three of them were standing in a cemetery. Charlotte was wearing a black collared blouse with a short skirt on. She had put on some black stockings to prevent a chill. She had put on a dark purple cardigan and was wearing her purple hightops. She stood next to George who was stood next to Lockwood. They stood across the path from the actual grave that was surrounded by people who were friends and family of Samaran Pandey.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to say farewell to Samaran and to commit him into the hands of God." She heard the celebrant say. They had been given permission by Inspector Barnes to attend the funeral even though they didn't actually know the agent. Charlotte watched in silence as they lowered the coffin into the ground, the same way that Felicity's had been. A single tear fell down her face but she wiped it away quickly. As the commemoration finished, the three agents turned and started walking down the gravel road to where the closest bus station was. They walked in silence, the only sound being the crunching of gravel underneath their feet.

"Excuse me!" A voice yelled out to them. They didn't stop thinking it wasn't for them. But when the voice shouted again they turned around. They came face to face with Penelope Fittes. The daughter of the great Marissa Fittes. "Hi. Uh, my name's Penelope Fittes."

"We know who you are." George said, rather abruptly.

"And you are Lockwood & co." She stated. Charlotte looked at Lockwood quickly before looking back at Penelope.

"At your service." Lockwood said, a charming smile on his face. "You're not here just to see us, are you?"

"It's nice to see you, but no, no. My mother led that first attempt on Combe Carey Hall. She was the only survivor, which I think she always felt awful about because, um..."She trailed off, pointing towards the cemetery and Charlotte understood the feeling very well. "Well, Sam was like a little brother to her. So just thank you for finding him."

Charlotte gave her a quick smile at her words.

"You must be Charlotte Campbell." Penelope said, looking at the girl.
"You know my name?" Charlotte asked, shocked that the Penelope Fittes would know about her.
"Yep."

"Do you know my name?" George asked the woman, who turned to look at him.

"Well, yes, of course I do, Mr Karim. I'm glad to see you're doing well." She said to George with a smile. "Wish you were still at my agency though. You know I fired the fool who let you go."

"That's a shame. She was a fool but she really fitted in there." George said. Charlotte had to try not to laugh while Lockwood discreetly nudged the boy in the arm.

"I can see how you might be more comfortable where you are." Penelope said with a laugh. She turned to look at the funeral party that was starting to draw closer. "Thank you again. Really. Bye."

She then left, and the agents watched her walk to her car before getting in. The car's engine started and drove off. Charlotte then turned to George and whacked him on the shoulder.

"Why'd you say that? She was nice." She scolded. Lockwood, who had a huge smile on his face, stepped closer.
"Guys, this is no time to fight. Penelope Fittes knows who we are!" He said excitedly. He patted George on the shoulder before starting to walk away, grin still on his face. Charlotte had to admit, it was pretty cool that Penelope Fittes knew them by name. She ran up to catch up with Lockwood. She linked her arm through his as George caught up to them.

"I'm kind of hungry. Who want's takeout?" Charlotte asked the boys.

"I'm down. Your shout?" George asked, joking around with her.
"Anything for you Georgie." Charlotte winked back at him. George just rolled his eyes.