Chapter Five: Make or break

Charlotte sat at the table, arms crossed and her head resting on them. In front of her was the ghost jar. She had gotten up earlier than she would have liked considering the late night they had. They had gotten home around 3:30am and now it was about 9. She had been sitting here for at least a half hour, waiting for the jar to say something, anything, to her. She had received nothing. The door opened and Charlotte shifted her eyes to the door. Lockwood walked in dressed in his normal white button up and suit pants. He noticed her sitting at the table.

"You're up early." He said, walking over to the bench behind her. Charlotte lifted her head but kept her arms crossed on the table.

"Yeah. Trying to get us a head start, but it's playing hard to get." She explained. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" Lockwood asked, pausing as he opened the fridge. "Have you eaten?"

"No. Not hungry." Charlotte said, looking back at the ghost jar. "Come on you idiot. Say something. You wouldn't shut up last night."

"Don't worry about the skull." Lockwood said as he came over to the table with two bowls of cereal. He placed one in front of Charlotte. "Eat."

Lockwood then sat down next to her and started eating his own cereal. Charlotte picked up the spoon and started pushing the cereal around. She picked up a little on the spoon before putting it in her mouth.

"We've already got a headstart on Kipps' crew. We'll be in and out of the cemetery before they can even finish their cornflakes." Lockwood told the girl.

"What if the it meant the mirror?" Charlotte asked, looking at the jar again. Lockwood lokoed at her in confusion.

"What?"
"The skull. It said death is coming. What if that mirror is death?" Charlotte explained. She looked over at Lockwood. He was almost finished with his breakfast and she had barely started.

"Then I say bring it on. Nothing we can't handle together." He told her. Charlotte smiled as the door opened.

"I'll just go back to bed then, shall I?" George asked, rubbing his eyes. Lockwood stood up with his empty bowl and placed it in the sink.

"I meant all of us George." Lockwood said. Lockwood came to stand behind Charlotte and placed his hands on the back of her chair. George came over and went to grab the empty coffee plunger but Lockwood stopped him. "There's no time for that. You can grab one en route to the archives."

"I thought we were going to the cemetery?" Charlotte asked. Last night Lockwood had told them to get rest as they would be going to the cemetery as early as possible in the morning.
"We are, love. George, I need you to go to the archives and find out everything you can about the mirror and Bickerstaff. Today is make or break." Lockwood explained.

"Only cause you turned this job into a pissing contest." George muttered. Charlotte placed her spoon down and turned so that she could see both boys.

"You're not still in a mood about that, are you?" Lockwood asked.

"Did you forget what we went through to save this place?" George questioned. "If I have to tell my parents that I've lost another job because you and Kipps-"

"We won't lose." Lockwood was adamant.

"Won't we? How do you know? Are you psychic?" George quizzed. Charlotte put her hand up.

"Well technically we're al-" She started but was interrupted.

"Shut up Lottie." George said, before continuing. "You're telling me I don't even have time to drink a coffee. Let alone actually assess the crime scene."
"Okay. Enough." Charlotte interrupted. "George, come with us and sus out the scene. Then you can go to the archives and work whatever magic you've got hidden away. And you," She turned to Lockwood. "Give him 3 quid to buy a coffee on the way. Make an effort."