Chapter Eleven: Combe Carey Hall

That next morning, Lockwood & Co got their final preparations done for Combe Carey Hall before making their way to the station to take them to Berkshire after lunch. They walked down the streets that were starting to busy with the workers going to lunch. The trip was going to take about two and a half hours on the train with about a thirty minute drive to Combe Carey Hall and so Charlotte brought the book that she had been reading. Charlotte had braided her hair so that it was out of her face. She played with the ends of her braids as she walked in between Lockwood and George. For their case today, she had decided it would be easier to wear clothes with more movability so she wore some black active wear leggings with a grey tank top. Despite them being in October, the weather was starting to get cool and so she had thrown on a purple jacket. Her purple converse adorner her feet. Around her waist was her belt and rapier along with a few other items that wouldn't fit inside her kit bag. She had adhered to Farifax's request of no flares or explosives, despite how uneasy it made her feel. They arrived at Kings Cross station and while the two boys fought over who was supposed to pay for the train tickets, Charlotte payed for all three. She handed the two boys their tickets before making her way to the correct platform. The train had just pulled in while George and Lockwood caught up to the girl. The train wasn't extremely busy and so they were lucky to find a seat at one of the tables in the carriage. Charlotte took the window seat and Lockwood sat next to her while George sat opposite them. George pulled out some more research that he had while Charlotte pulled out her book and opened it up. The train started moving, and their long journey began. As they got further into their journey, Charlotte started feeling nauseous. She closed her book, placing it on the table face down, and closed her eyes hoping the feeling would pass quickly. It wasn't. She really hoped she wouldn't have to throw up, cause she was trapped between the window and Lockwood. Lockwood, who had spent most of the trip watching the girl read her book, had noticed that she was starting to look a little green.

"What's wrong, love?" Lockwood asked the girl. George raised his eyebrow at the pet name but didn't say anything, returning to his research.

"I'm just starting to feel a little nauseous is all. Could be motion sickness or nerves. Or both." She explained. Lockwood frowned. She had never mentioned motion sickness before.

"Do you get it often? The motion sickness?" Charlotte nodded.
"Yeah, but only when I read for long periods of time on the train. And sometimes when I sit backwards to the way we are going. Which I did both today." Charlotte admitted.

"Stay here. I'll find you something to drink. What helps most?" Lockwood asked, reaching into his pocket to grab his wallet.

"Um, usually ginger ale. The ginger helps settle my stomach." Charlotte told him and he got up to hopefully find something for her. She slouched in her chair as she tried to ignore the feeling. She looked at George who was looking at her with an amused smile.

"What George?" She asked him an unimpressed look on her face.

"Oh, nothing." He said simply. He picked up another report.

"That is not nothing. What is it?" She pressed. He clearly thought that something was funny.

"How long has that been going on?" George questioned. Charlotte was still very confused.

"What?"

"What's wrong, love?" George mocked Lockwood. Charlotte felt her face go hot.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Charlotte said, crossing her arms to look out the window, feigning ignorance. She watched as the buildings slowly transitioned into fields of green.

"Oh come on Lottie. Give me more details." George pressed. She just kicked out at his shins. He groaned in pain, holding onto his legs.

"It's only happened a few times. Sheen road, after going to DEPRAC and the other night after my nightmare." She told him, hoping it would shut him up. He went to open his mouth to say something but Lockwood had returned with a bottle of ginger ale. He sat down next to her and opened it before passing it to her.