Chapter Thirteen: The Real Screaming Staircase

Lockwood, George and Charlotte made their way down the tunnel that they had found. They had decided that they would follow the tunnel hoping that it led to a way out of the place. The walls of the tunnel were decorated with spider webs and Charlotte had to duck to avoid a few of them.

"What if there's no way out?" Charlotte asked. She shone her torch up to the roof of the tunnel, hoping to avoid being touched by a spider, or worse a visitor.

"Well, then we're dead aren't we?" George snapped. She glared at him before turning to look back at the tunnel. She nearly walked straight into another spider web before she stopped and stepped around it. Lockwood had stopped and raised his rapier to clear their path of more spider webs. Charlotte was definitely not a fan of the spiderwebs.

"What makes ghosts so enticing to spiders." Charlotte wondered as she shivered. The air had gotten considerably colder and Charlotte was regretting wearing the tank top and wished she had brought another jumper with her.

"Who cares? They're excellent warnings." Lockwood said, torch scanning the tunnel. He then turned it off as he noticed something. "Case in point."

It was then that Charlotte noticed the whispering associated with most visitors. She turned her torch off, George following suit. A couple of feet in front of them was a ghost of what looked to be a boy in a Fittes uniform.

"Oh crap."

"Sam Pandey." George stated. The whispering was starting to get louder the more they stood there. The ghost had one hand on his rapier and then he turned and walked away into the darkness. "Probably wanted to warn us not to go down there."

Lockwood took a deep breath in before turning his flashlight back on and walking after the ghost.

"And of course, we are following the ghost." Charlotte muttered. She turned her light on before walking beside George. The whispering didn't disappear as they walked further down the tunnel like Charlotte had expected but it had gotten a bit louder. Lockwood came to a stop as he reached the top of a set of stairs. Charlotte felt like something was watching her and when she turned around there was nothing there.

"There's something waiting." she told the two boys. She shone her torch onto the staircase as the three of them looked down into the darkness. "This couldn't be the actual Screaming Staircase, could it?"

"Maybe." George said, also shining his light down the stairs. "Fairfax certainly loves a surprise. It's why he did so well in show business. Let's go."

"Okay." Charlotte said, stepping down onto the stairs. Her and George walked down the stairs that wrapped around a support pillar. As they walked down there were deep male voices that started chanting in Charlotte's ears.

"Mors gloria salvete satanas." The voices repeated the same saying over and over.

"Wait a minute. George, Char, hold on." Lockwood called out after them as Charlotte slowed trying to listen to the chanting to figure out what they were saying. "I think I might have figured out-"

"Mors gloria salvete satanas." Charlotte translated quickly and realised what they were saying. Death to glory, hail Satan.

"This is it. This is the staircase." She shouted out.
"Go! Get off it now!" The three ran down the stairs trying to get off them as quickly as possible. Charlotte jumped off the last two steps as George and Lockwood followed suit. The chanting was echoing now throughout the room.

"Mors gloria salvete satanas." The chanting had gotten much louder now and Charlotte winced at the volume. As Charlotte shone her torch around the room, she noticed shadows of what looked to be the monks walking down the stairs. Lockwood and George had turned around, shining their torches at the stairs as well. The chanting was extremely loud now, booming in Charlotte's ears giving her a headache. The first shadow of the monks stepped off the stairs and formed into an apparition. It had it's black hood up and Charlotte couldn't see it's face. Not that she particularly felt inclined to see it. She quickly drew her rapier preparing to defend. Lockwood, who had put his rapier away before descending the stairs pulled out his own sword.
"George, find the source. Char, help me ward them off. We need to buy some time." Lockwood ordered. George turned to find the source leaving the other two.