Chapter Twenty-One: Birthday Celebrations and Unlocking Secrets

Charlotte and Lockwood were lying on Lockwood's bed. They had been awake for an hour or two but hadn't moved from the bed. Charlotte was still in her pajamas, and Lockwood had his track pants on but no shirt. Lockwood was absentmindedly running his good hand through Charlotte's hair as she wrote a letter to Felicity. He had his eyes closed but wasn't asleep. It was the morning of the third day after everything that had happened which meant that it was Charlotte's 17th birthday. She had yet to tell the boys that it was her birthday. There was a paper discarded on Lockwood's bedside table, telling all about their little adventure at Kensal Green.

George stumbled into the room, arms full of books and papers. He stopped in his tracks when he noticed the two of them on the bed. "Hey, what's going on here?" he said, raising his eyebrows.

Lockwood quickly sat up, realizing that he had been a bit too comfortable. "We were just talking, nothing more," he said, avoiding eye contact.

George rolled his eyes. "Sure," he said, setting down the books. He then looked at Charlotte and noticed her letter. "What are you writing, Lottie?"

Charlotte smiled. "It's a letter to Felicity," she said, looking up at George. She showed the letter to George.

George nodded, but then suddenly his eyes widened. "Wait, today's your birthday?" he said, pointing at Charlotte. "Why didn't you tell us?"

Charlotte shrugged. "I didn't think it was a big deal. It's the first one without Felicity and I just wasn't ready for it." she said.

Lockwood smiled. "Well, it is a big deal," he said, giving Charlotte a hug. "Happy birthday, Char."

George smiled and joined in the hug. "Happy birthday, Lottie. We'll have to do something special to celebrate!"

"You don't have to. You only found out today. There's no way to do something. Plus Lockwood's still on forced bed rest." Charlotte said, placing the letter and pen to the side.

"Doesn't matter. We'll do something here, at home." Lockwood said.

"I'll pop over to Arif's get some stuff." George said, picking up his books and promptly leaving the room.

"I can't believe you didn't tell us about your birthday." Lockwood said as Charlotte turned and faced him.

Charlotte shrugged. "My birthday's never been a big thing. For my dad it's a reminder of the day he lost my mum. Felicity used to make it fun and so this year I just wasn't feeling it because she's not here."

Lockwood gently lifted his good hand to Charlotte's cheek, and ran his thumb along her jawline. "Well, now you have us."

She looked up into his eyes and he leaned in, pressing his lips to hers. Charlotte felt a warmth spread through her body as their kiss deepened and their tongues entwined. She felt safe in his embrace and she melted into him, her body melting into his. After a few moments, they parted, both breathless and smiling.

Lockwood leaned in closer and kissed Charlotte gently on the forehead. She smiled softly, closing her eyes as she felt his lips against her skin. He moved his lips to her cheek, placing gentle kisses as he moved down to her neck. Charlotte felt her body tingle with pleasure and she wrapped her arms around him, pulling him closer. She opened her eyes and looked into his, her body still trembling with anticipation. Lockwood smiled and kissed her lips softly, as if they were the most delicate of roses. Charlotte felt like she was floating on a cloud, the warmth of his embrace enveloping her. She didn't want the moment to end, but all too soon, it did. Lockwood winced as he shifted on the bed. His arm was healing slowly and causing him pain still. Without his shirt on, Charlotte could see the wound which was covered in a bandage, just near his shoulder.