Chapter Two: Graveyards

"Okay, let's keep our wits about us. We do not want to get jumped by relic men." Lockwood told the two as they rode in the taxi to Kensal Green Cemetery. Saunders wanted the grave to be done tonight and so after the two had left, everyone scrambled to get ready. George rushed to find as much as he could about the Bickerstaff family and their cemetery while Charlotte helped Lockwood pack their kit bags. Charlotte was now sat next to Lockwood, who had made George sit riding backwards. Charlotte had let a smile creep on her face as she realised Lockwood had remembered what she said about getting motion sick from riding backwards. Despite the morning haven been sunny and warm, the rain had come through late afternoon and had only just stopped. Charlotte had thrown on a large black over coat on top of her outfit to keep the cold away.

"Who even keeps those idiots in business?" Charlotte asked. She had quite a few opinions on relic men. They were evil. Selling sources just for money.

"There's a lot of rich twisted bastards out there who want something to scandalise their equally twisted mates." Lockwood told her.

"It's so messed up." She said.

"It makes sense though. Sources are fascinating and illegal. Put those two things together and you've got your black market." George elucidated. She shrugged.

"A ruthless one at that. Relic men are the scum of the earth." As Lockwood spoke, Charlotte could hear shouting coming from outside. She looked out through the window on George and Lockwoods side of the cab to see a group of protestors with signs. "I know one notable exception but by and large they'll kill you without hesitation. So, if you see one, run."

"This lot are almost as crazy." George said, looking out the window at the protestors. There was loud banging as a few of the protestors banged the car with their fists or tried to kick the slow moving car. A few people were chanting but it was hard for Charlotte to make out.

"Who are they?" Charlotte asked. She had never seen or experienced this before so she was highly confused.

"Ghost cult. They think that instead of fighting visitors, we should be welcoming them in." George told her. There was tapping on the window beside her, making her jump and turn to the sound. There was a guy there but Charlotte couldn't figure out what he was saying to her. "They're the venn diagram intersection of noisy, angry and deliberately thick."

Charlotte let out a gasp as someone threw what looked to be an egg at George's window.

"So kind, honestly." Lockwood then said, looking out the window. He gave them a little salute as they started to pull through the gates of the cemetery. "Sorry, there's no autographs tonight. Thank you, though."

The cab pulled into the carpark and as Lockwood paid them, George and Charlotte grabbed their kit out of the boot.
"That was horrible." Charlotte said, closing the boot as Lockwood met them at the back. The three started walking to where they were told to meet Saunders. The three flicked on their torches as they started to walk through the dark cemetery.

"You get used to it. It's this bit I don't like." George told the girl, scanning his torch across the dark grounds. "I know most of the dead here are properly dead, but-"

"It still feels like enemy territory." Charlotte said. She understood that more than they would realise. They soon came across the path to where Saunders was. It was lit up with bonfires and big lights.

"Geez. The man was right." Charlotte muttered, but Lockwood heard her.

"The place really does come alive at night." He told her. There were tons of people walking around and huddling around the fires. Charlotte turned her light off and hooked it onto her belt.