Chapter One: Lacking Respect

Charlotte opened her eyes to notice she was in her bed. The last thing she remembered was Lockwood giving her her fourth grade qualification. She swallowed and her throat was dray and scratchy. She was still in her clothes she had change into after the funeral. She sat up slowly as to avoid her growing headache from growing further. Charlotte looked over to her table, where the digital clock sat showing her the time was eight in the morning. Next to her clock, was a glass of water with a note of paper propped against it saying: DRINK ME, in Lockwood's hand writing. Next to it was a packet of pain killers. She grabbed the cup, popped two of the ibuprofen and quickly swallowed them with water. She didn't remember going to bed, but maybe she had been so tired that she just didn't. After drinking the water, Charlotte quickly had a shower, getting rid of the feeling of sleep on her. She pulled on her stockings and put on the purple pleated skirt. She paired it with a light purple turtleneck jumper and plaited her hair into one braid. Charlotte opened her door to the oddly quiet house. Normally at this time of the day, George would be making breakfast or cleaning some room and Lockwood would be somewhere in the house. Usually the kitchen, having his tea. Charlotte walked past the locked door, stepping onto the landing with Lockwood and George's room. George's door was opened slightly, and Lockwood's was closed shut. She walked down the next set of stairs, expecting to see George or Lockwood in the library but there was nobody.

"Hello?" She called out into the silent house. When there was no response she called out again. "Guys? Are you here?"

She was met with silence once more. Charlotte turned and opened the kitchen door to see that the kitchen was also empty. Charlotte walked over to the fridge and grabbed out the cheese and the butter, preparing to make herself a cheese toastie, when she noticed the note held to the fridge by a magnet. She pulled it off and read the note.

Gone wraith hunting. Be back by 8:30. Make sure you eat something Char. The note read. Charlotte's face fell into a frown. They had gone wraith hunting without her. She loved wraith hunting. She stuck the note back to the fridge before opening it to grab out the ingredients she needed. She turned the toastie machine on before spreading the butter over the two slices of bread, putting one slice upside down on the hot plate before placing two slices of cheese on and the either piece of bread and then closing the toastie machine. She turned around and leant against the bench as she waited for her toastie to cook. As she looked around the oddly silent kitchen, her eyes caught sight of the open basement door. Charlotte could have sworn that she heard a faint whirring coming from the door and so she slowly started walking to the door. She inched closer and closer, her heart pounding in her chest. She took a deep breath and opened the door a little bit wider. As she did, the smell of burning cheese filled her nose and Charlotte quickly shut the door before going back to the toastie machine. She quickly turned it off before sliding the toastie onto the board. She grabbed a knife and cut the toastie in triangles. As she was sliding the toastie onto the plate she had grabbed she heard the front door open, before Lockwood's voice sounded.

"How could you not realise it was an execution site?" Lockwood asked George, frustrated. Charlotte placed her plate on the table before rushing out into the hall.

"Because you gave me no time for research. Again!" George exclaimed.

"They had time to figure it out! They knew exactly what they were walking into." Lockwood told George, taking out his rapier and placing it in the umbrella rack they used. Charlotte walked up the stairs to see Lockwood throw a bag onto the floor.

"Yes, but they dont actually have to visit the libraries and churches like i do!" George said to Lockwood. Charlotte thought this would be a good time to intervene.

"Um hey." She said, awkwardly. Both boys, who had been too busy caught up in their argument paused and turned to look at the girl. George was halfway through taking off his puffer jacket and Lockwood was pulling salt bombs off his belt.