How She Knows

Katara always thought she was so sure of her destiny, what she was put in this world to do. Yet when she saw the necklace her boyfriend had dangled so proudly over her, his sheepish boyish smile she thought she fell so hard for, Katara felt nothing but uncertainty and dread. It was a carved pendant commonly used in the Northern Tribe the Air Nation symbols carefully etched into them. She stared at the blue and orange ribbon, a silky chain in-between his fingers.

"Aang...what is this?" She dared herself to ask, dreading the answer that she swore she already knew. He blinked a little, his cheeks burning as he kept his smile.

"Well, with everything that happened, saving the world, traveling and all..." he stopped and shook his head. "No, before even that, the moment I saw you. I knew...you were my forever girl." Katara desperately tried to keep a straight face.

"I knew from the moment I saw you in that iceberg I was destined to be with you. And I...well, I want to make it official. Make us official." Silence overcame them again as a fearful hand clutched her mother's necklace a heavy feeling in her stomach. An awkward laugh leapt out of him as he cleared his throat. She watched his adam's apple bob nervously as he continued to look at her.

Katara was now all too aware of her surroundings. The candlelit picnic, the seclusion of the meadow he had flown them to overlooking the view of the beautiful and vast mountaintops of the Air temples. The seemingly endless clouds seemed to only feel more constricting knowing she wasn't easily able to physically evade him should things go south. In her vast and beautiful prison, she had no choice but to imagine a life with him. She had watched over the years as his temperance and his control of the avatar state was still just as immature as ever despite the grand displays he was capable of. Still, after so many times, she was the one who continuously dragged him out of his state of turmoil.

Katara imagined a lifetime of being his forever girl; forever being the one to quell his temper. Fear iced her veins, the future flooding her mind. What if they had children and they angered him enough to trigger the Avatar State? What if she wasn't there and he was in the state? Would he even be mindful of the child in his fury? She imagined the children forever living in fear of their father, wondering when his unchecked fury was going to come for them.

"Katara." Aang's voice pulled her out of her thoughts, noticing this smile had dropped, nervousness overtaking the excitement in his eyes. "This is the part where you say yes." He forced out a laugh, his eyes staring into hers expectantly. Her throat had seized as her voice croaked out, not even knowing what she wanted to say. The sound of a hawk cry had snatched both of their attention from each other, as Katara thanked the spirits for the interruption. The royal Fire Nation insignia displayed on the plumage of the bird as it landed in front of them.

"Must be from Zuko." Katara said, finally finding her voice. The bird moved towards her, making it clear to whom the missive was addressed to. "Give him a treat would you please, Aang?" She barely caught his irritation as he grabbed some bread for the creature, feeding it out of his hand as Katara fetched the letter from its carrier. The hawk ate vigorously, appreciating the meal, Aang's eyes were on her however, as Katara could feel the slight narrowing of his eyes on her.

"What does it say, sweetie?" Aang asked as he watched her read. Katara quickly closed the letter, keeping it from his prying eyes. Nervousness overwhelmed her as she clutched the paper tightly.

"I should head over there, he needs me." She quickly said. "It's urgent." Aang didn't hide his disappointment as he watched her rise from the small picnic he had worked on.

"What about...my question?" He insisted. Katara froze once again keeping a false smile as she turned to him, her own heart racing against his chest.

"I'm sorry Aang...I just really need to help Zuko right now. I'll give you an answer soon, I just need...time." That was the most honest she had been she had realized. Sorrow weighed on his shoulders.