Chapter Twelve - More Crush-Talk

It was 8:30, after dinner. Aru glanced at Kara's room. Her sister laughed, and had been laughing for the past hour, and honestly, she was a little concerned.

She knocked and opened the door. "Everything okay?"

"Is that Aru?" The voice from the phone asked. Then she said, "Hi! This is Camilla."

"Oh, hi Camilla!" Aru greeted her. "Sorry, I'll just leave now."

She closed the door and died of embarrassment. Was it just her, or when she said those words, her voice sounded like a toddler's? To her it did.

Gosh, Camilla must think she was weird now. And they hadn't even talked properly!

Her eyes closed from exhaustion and her head fell. "Why is my life so hard?"

Then Aiden texted her. And she was pretty sure her face lit up, and not just from the phone light.

She mentally kicked herself for it.

Aiden 💀
So you're coming over?
Make it quick because me and my mom need to spend time with each other
I haven't seen her in months

bro patience plz
im eavesdropping on my sister

Which wasn't true, but eh, who cares. It was an excuse.

Don't do that
Is she talking to Camilla though

look whos interested
yes

Haha they're pretty close
Anyway come get your book
My mom's interrogating me on it

im coming anyways
my mom told kara and me to drop desserts off remember
at ur house

It's Kara and I, Shah

what are you, a grammar student?!

It's who are you

im aru shah what r u talking abt 🤨

Shah, come get your book.

fine.

Aru knocked on the door again. "Kara, we need to go to Aiden's place, remember?"

The room became silent. Then, Camilla's voice, "You'd better go then."

"I mean, Aru could-" Kara started. "You know what, yeah. I'll talk to you later, Cami."

"Bye, nena." To that, Aru raised an eyebrow. After reading many novels and watching many movies with Hispanic people as main characters, she found that 'nena' meant babe in English, used for females.

And she knew Cami used babe a lot, for many people, but she hadn't heard her use 'nena' once.

She mentally noted that as well.

Kara opened the door. She said, "Let's go."

Aru let her lead the entire way and just walked behind.

Then, as the door opened, Aru's eyes widened.

The girl from the photos.

Now that's where she's seen her before; the auntie who always gossiped with her mom. Malini Acharya.

"Hello," Malini greeted. "I recognize Kara, but...who is this?"

"Arundhati Shah, ma'am," Aru tried to stare at Malini's unflinching gaze. "Kara's sister."

Snapshotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें