Chapter Twenty-One - The Obliviousness Runs Away (Finally)

Brynne sighed to herself as she sat beside Aiden in his dorm, making herself at home and setting down three mugs of the new hot chocolate recipe she'd tried.

She took one for herself, noticing that Aiden hadn't even looked away from his camera.

Eh, it wasn't as good as hers, but it worked.

Aiden was still moping about how Aru had barely said anything to him, mostly staying away from him and how she left him to stay buried in his feelings and how she refused to properly acknowledge hers.

Rudy sat himself on the other couch, happy expression on his face as he took his mug of hot chocolate.

Soon enough, Brynne thought, this other oblivious problem would be sorted out.

Brynne: Why hello, audience! Welcome to the last (hopefully) episode of What is Sanity? Today, we have some breaking news for Aiden, our season guest, and Rudy,  and some not-so-breaking news for you viewers.

Rudy: How do I not know? Is Mini finally realising I'm not wort–

Brynne: Aru doesn't know yet, that's why you don't know so shut up Rudy. Mini is not wasting her time over you; she's making better use of it. Now, Aiden, ready to hear the good news?

Aiden: What's the news?

Brynne: Kara finally realised she's bi–

Rudy: Ooh, she likes Camilla, doesn't she?

Brynne: At least not everyone is oblivious. Anyway, Kara realised she's bi, and she found out she doesn't like Aiden anymore, and that he's not her type. I suspect she'll tell Aru tomorrow morning, and then, Aiden–

Aiden, perking up: I'm listening.

Brynne: You will just be at the studio, because she will obviously call you and ask you to come to the studio. Make a romantic setting, make it cute and adorable, and when she finally confesses, you guys can do whatever you're planning to.

Rudy, with a smirk: Just keep it PG, will you, cuz? Like you're desperate, but tamp it dow–

Aiden, completely red: [throws a pillow at Rudy] Shut up, Rudy.

Rudy: It's always 'Shut up, Rudy' never 'Go to Mini, Rudy'. Mini understands me. She's so sweet, unlike my roommate and his best friend. Honestly I don't even know why Mini's still friends with all of us, she's like, up here, and we're down there. [he points to the floor]

Aiden: Shah's up there too.

Rudy: I don't know, cuz, she's not Mini.

Brynne: Hira's up there too.

Rudy: She's not Mini.

Aiden: Shah is my Mini, at least, she might be if things go according to what Brynne said.

Brynne: And Hira's already my Mini. My girlfriend is like, the best girlfriend ever, and I was the first to get a girlfriend out of the three of us.

Rudy: I was the second. Aiden, poor Aiden, came last in this race.

Aiden, red again: I confessed first, and that's a great achievement.

Brynne, nodding: Actually, though. This guy's never liked anyone romantically for years, not even a crush, and then Aru comes along and turns his world upside down.

Aiden: I call it the Aru Effect. She can make anyone like her, Brynne.

Rudy: Never thought I'd see the day Aiden became a simp.

Brynne: Real. I never thought I'd see a whole album of pictures dedicated to a girl who wasn't his mom.

Rudy: My cousin finally grew up. [flicks away fake tears]

Aiden, unamused: My cousin and my best friend are turning on me. What a day.

Brynne: Maybe if you finally get a girlfriend, we'll stop.

Rudy: Hint, hint, the girlfriend should be Aru.

Aiden: Yeah, yeah, if she thinks that I'm good enough for her. I don't even know if she actually likes me.

Brynne: My half-blind grandmother can see that you both like each other.

Rudy: And my colourblind self can see the red string of fate between you two.

Aiden: You should become a poet, Rudy.

Rudy: Maybe I should. I already wrote a poem for Mini.

Brynne: Let me see.

Rudy: After we sort this episode out.

Aiden: I still don't know what type of audience we're talking to, but thanks I guess, imaginary people we're talking to.

Brynne: And today's poll: Should Aiden finally change his playlist from depressing to happy?

Aiden: My playlist is not depressing.

Rudy: Yeah, champagne problems, Heather, and tolerate it and Haunted are definitely not depressing songs.

Aiden: Angst makes me feel alive.

Brynne: And that's why you dedicated your life to being angsty?

Aiden: My life is not angsty–

Rudy: Try to convince the wall, Aiden. Anyway, that's a wrap, guys! Hopefully, we won't have to come back for a second season.

Brynne looked at the poem in her hands, finding herself laughing at the poem Rudy had written for Mini.

"Stop laughing." Rudy said, his cheeks flushed.

"How about no."

Aiden wasn't joining in on the conversation, looking through the photos on his camera with a much happier look.

Brynne clapped Rudy's back. "Mini will love it, don't worry."

Rudy had a smug smile on his face. "Obviously. I'm the greatest poet alive."

"I can write a better one for Hira."

"Lies."

In case you were wondering, this is the poem Rudy wrote for Mini. (Written by the amazing Seph)

When the butterflies rest on your cheeks in my dreams,
Dark red and purple hues shining through,
I realise that, without you
I've been lost my whole life.

The sun in your smile,
The beauty in your eyes,
Your gentle caress on my skin when I feel like
I'm drowning.

Your mind, dark and light,
Your heart, oh very benevolent,
It is only fitting for you to be
My dark benevolent queen.

With you by my side,
I feel finally free.