Chapter Sixteen - He Wished He Didn't Know

Krithika laughed to herself as she saw the bouquet in Suyodhana's hands and the bashful expression on his face.

Sometimes, it was hard to believe they weren't sixteen again, new to love and all those nice and romantic gestures.

He cleared his throat. "My deepest apologies for being late, my lady, but I hope you will accept this gift of mine."

She laughed openly now. "Why, young gentleman. Of course I'll accept it."

She pulled him inside, kissing him just like she always did, until he got flustered and pulled away.

"But, tell me, why are there gears on the stalks instead of flowers?"

Suyodhana blushed. "Because all I want is more time with you. I want more time to sleep by your side in the morning," he kissed her cheek, "I want more time with you before we go to sleep," he kissed the tip of her nose, "and I want more time to just be with you," he kissed her on the lips again, and this time, it was Krithika who was flustered.

"You simp."

"I'll gladly hold that title."

They cuddled each other in the museum theatre, a cheesy romcom playing in the background while he toyed with her hair and she blew hard in his ear to startle him.

There was no doubt that Aru got her recklessness and her everything, Krithika thought.

And speaking of Aru...

"Don't Aiden and Aru remind you of us when we were young?" She whispered to him, afraid to break the quiet spell that had settled over them.

Suyodhana frowned. "As much as I hate having a boy near her, they do." He sighed, as though he'd taken great troubles to say those words.

Krithika playfully pushed him as a dance number began in the film.

"Remember the guy Kara used to like when she was in seventh grade?"

"Yeah, I never liked him. Boys are already slimy creatures, and then there was him. So disgusting."

"You literally hate every boy who's been near Kara and Aru at this point, love."

Suyodhana buried his face in the crook of her neck. "I want them to stay young forever, like how they were when they were five and six. No boys, just me and you and them."

"It can't be like that forever, love. But, on the bright side, you're still the only guy in my life."

"Oh, remember when we broke up for the first time and you dated my best friend to make me jealous?" He laughed at the memory.

"I did not like your best friend at all. What was his name again?"

"After he accepted to date you, I couldn't be bothered with remembering his name."

"And then remember? We got back together at the Spring Formal. And you made that big song about me and folded paper birds just to win me back."

She felt Suyodhana grin. "It worked though, didn't it. We even got married."

"Suyodhana, darling, you never had to win me back." She turned to face him as he looked at her.

She kissed him again, for what it felt like the tenth time that night. "I was always yours."

***

This was it. The last shoot.

Aiden didn't know how he'd feel on this day. He always had known it had to come, of course, but he didn't expect to be so attached with everything that had happened.

He was going to miss taking photos of Aru modelling. He was going to miss editing them. He was going to miss laughter in the studio.

But then and again, it wasn't like there was laughter anyway.

Kara and Aru did sometimes laugh, for something the other had said. But he always seemed to be outcast, like he didn't belong.

Today, Aru, with a lot of convincing from Kara's side, wore black heels, with a gold ribbon tied around her ankle. Her dress was a short black one, with a complementary golden colour along with it. Her eyeliner made her eyes pop.

Today's theme was, 'Maturity at it's finest'

It suited her. But then again, everything suited her in Aiden's eyes.

As she stood up with the heels and walked in front of him to get a handbag, Aiden's mind spiralled out of control.

'I forgot how cute she looked when she was up to my shoulder,' He thought. When she stood up to her height now, her forehead pretty much reached his lips. As she walked forward, his insides swirled.

'She's really owning up to her age right now. She looks...'

Aiden fumbled to find the words. 'Like a queen.'

'Aiden, you're staring,' He snapped himself out of it.

"Can we make this quick?" Aru complained to Kara. "My feet hurt."

"Hang in there," Kara replied. "Act like you're beautiful, you've got this."

"It shouldn't be hard for her," Aiden said quietly, and no one heard him.

Aru seemed stiff, which was odd, since she never did. Kara seemed to notice this, but didn't say anything so he did, "Shah, are you okay?"

Aru barely gave him a glance and said flatly, "I'm fine."

His heart stung. Wow, was this what heartbreak felt like? Where you wanted someone to hold your heart, but they broke it instead? Because if so, it felt a lot worse than how the movies described it.

"Whatever you say," Aiden replied coldly. Kara frantically looked between them, concern taking over her face.

"Uh, guys?" Kara said.

"Let's just get this over with," Aru continued. Her posture seemed a bit less stiff, probably trying not to make it stiff, but it seemed unnatural.

Still, because of his technique, somehow he made them look good. And that was enough.

'But is it though?' His brain whispered. 'Shah's not laughing.'

'I know.'

He knew. He knew, he knew, he knew.

And it was all his fault.