Epilogue - Doesn't This Look Nice?

Aiden sat across Aru, holding her fingers and softly toying with them, caressing them, even.

Aru knew this behavior was different; Aiden wasn't usually so openly romantic in public, but who was Aru to complain? She liked it.

At twenty-five, she'd submitted her first audition for this new upcoming superhero movie, and she'd had a steady relationship of six years, and she was proud of herself for achieving things she probably wouldn't have achieved if she hadn't gone out of her comfort zone.

She sipped her coffee, looking at Aiden through the steam rising through the cup. His face looked neutral as he rubbed circles on the back of her hand with his thumb. The only sign that he was doing something different was the glint in his eyes, the same glint that was there when Aru had finally told him that she liked him.

Aiden retrieved his hand from hers, and put it in the pocket of his jacket, returning with a ring.

He slid it on Aru's ring finger, and she started to internally freak out.

"Doesn't this look nice?" He asked her, rubbing circles on her hand again.

"What the fuck?"

Her brain lagged, much like it did whenever Aiden kissed her.

Oh.

"It looks nice, right?" Aiden asked again, openly looking at her with such an intensity that Aru looked back at her finger.

'So this is how he decided to propose.' She thought, and a bright smile took over her face.

"It does..." She said, "but where are you going with this?"

Aiden put his hand back in his pocket, showing a slightly larger ring. He put it in her hands, giving her his left hand.

Aru put the ring on his ring finger, before saying something.

"What does this mean?" She asked, the smile on her face unwavering. "What are we now?"

He rolled his eyes. "Friends, obviously."

She looked at him again, matching his unflinching gaze. "Sir–yeah we're totally friends. Ask the damned question, you dork."

"Are you ready to put up with me for a lifetime, Shah?"

Aru acted as though she was thinking about it. "What are the terms and conditions? And the fine print?"

He shrugged, the glint in his eyes more apparent. "You'll have to deal with me loving you."

Raising her eyebrows, Aru began to speak. "But don't I already? Am I missing something here?"

Aiden exhaled, plastering an artificially annoyed look on his face.

Aru loved that look.

"Are you going to marry me or not, Aru Shah?"

"You know, snob, people usually ask that before they give the ring. Not like I'm saying no, I definitely wouldn't, but if I did–"

Aiden laughed, and leaned forward over the coffee table, kissing her square on the mouth in front of everyone in the cafe.

Aru's brain slowed down, feeling at peace while her heart raced faster than it did every other time.

'Maybe,' she thought. 'Maybe it was because I'm finally building something permanent with Aiden.'

Aiden pulled away. "Am I going to be getting a proper answer now, Shah?"

"When we get married, you won't be able to call me that anymore." Aru mused.

"What makes you think I won't? I'll just take your last name." He winked, knowing he got the most straight-to-the-point answer he would get from Aru.