Rescuing the Vice President

Frost's pulse quickened. The intensity of the moment surged as the looming T90 tank lined up its sights, its turret pivoting ominously towards her position. Fear gripped Frost, a palpable worry settling in as the impending danger locked onto her.

In the dissonance of war, emotions ran high. Frost, momentarily exposed and vulnerable, felt the weight of the situation press upon her. The clatter of gunfire and distant explosions served as a cacophony to the fear that threaded through her thoughts.

Suddenly, Rhino 1 crashed out from a brick building on the right, a thunderous entrance into the scene. The tension escalated as Rhino 1 and the menacing T90 tank turned to face each other. Relief washed over Frost as the tables turned, the T90 now in the crosshairs of their own demise. Rhino 1's decisive shot shattered the oppressive tension, and the immediate danger dissipated.

"Threat neutralized. We're moving up," Rhino 1's triumphant declaration reverberated, and Frost, her worry dissipating, sought solace in the squad's collective victory. The ebb and flow of emotions, from fear to relief, painted a vivid tableau of the human experience in the crucible of warfare. As the squad regrouped, Frost, a crucial element within the unit, braced for the next challenge, her resilience undiminished by the emotional rollercoaster of the urban battleground.

Suddenly, Javelin Rockets streaked from the rooftops on the opposite side of the street, a deadly rain descending upon Rhino 1. The ominous spectacle unfolded as the tank succumbed to the devastating impact.

"Incoming!" shouted the Gunner.

"Get inside! Go! Go!" Sandman's command cut through the chaos.

Taking refuge in an office building, the squad braced themselves for the next phase of the encounter. Inside, the close-quarters skirmish unfolded, the staccato of gunfire filling the air as they engaged the Russians within the building.

Reaching the end of the office building, the squad faced a new threat. "This is Drifter 5-5, engaging targets on the capitol building," came the assurance over the radio.

An F-15 streaked across the sky, its powerful strafing run obliterating the Russians on the rooftop across the street. The artillery threat ceased, the rooftop defenders eradicated by the precision of the airstrike.

"Rooftop's clear! Let's move! The convoy should be at the end of the street!" Sandman's decisive command resonated through the battered cityscape. In the brief pause that followed, Frost took a moment to gather herself. The close encounters with death left an indelible mark, and an undercurrent of fear lingered beneath her determined exterior. Her thoughts turned to Austin, the weight of regret settled in her chest as she longed for his reassuring presence, but she pushed on.

She knew Arrow would tell her to keep moving and push forward. That is what she was going to do. She pushed herself up from her crouch and ran with the rest of the group.

As the squad emerged from the building, the streets once again became a theater of conflict. Engaging Russian forces in a relentless exchange, they pressed forward toward the corner of the street.

"Metal Zero One, have you reached the convoy?" the Overlord's voice echoed through the radio.

"Affirmative, Overlord, but we can't get to it yet! Watch the left side!" Sandman's response carried a note of urgency.

Turning the corner, they confronted Russians seeking cover behind vehicles. The clash was intense, but the squad's tactical prowess prevailed as they systematically eliminated the opposition.

"We're clear!" announced the Gunner.

"Check the vehicles," Sandman ordered.

Approaching the Vice Presidential motorcade, the grim scene unfolded. Heavily damaged SUVs, horns blaring, scattered across the road bore witness to the chaos. The bodies of Secret Service agents lay within, but codename "Goalpost" was conspicuously absent. Rhino 2's gunner intervened to silence the blaring horns.

"Nothin' here!" reported the Gunner.

"They're not here... Overlord, negative precious cargo. I say again - they're not at the convoy," Sandman relayed the disheartening discovery.

"Copy. Check the area for any sign of the delegates, but be advised - Raptor 4 will be on station for exfil in ten minutes, over," directed the Overlord.

"Copy your last," Sandman acknowledged the new orders.

Amidst the desolation, a bloody trail from the vehicles led into the nearby building. The squad, undeterred, approached cautiously.

"Hey! There's a lot of blood over here. It's going up those stairs," observed the Gunner.

"Easy," cautioned Sandman as shadows appeared on the stairs.

The Loader's sharp eyes caught the glimpse of a Russian peeking around the corner. "Contact!" he exclaimed as the Russian hastily retreated back upstairs.

Sandman swiftly made decisions, his gaze locking onto Grinch and Tuck. "You two stay with the Marines and watch over this convoy! Frost on me!" he directed.

"Roger!" Truck responded, and Grinch efficiently directed the Loader and Gunner into strategic positions. Frost, already turning on her heels, followed closely behind Sandman.

Entering the building on the left, they ascended the stairs, the distant murmur of Russian voices growing louder with each step. On the third floor, a Russian hurriedly closed a door, and the abrupt sound of two gunshots rang through the air. Reacting with instinctive speed, Frost planted a breaching charge at the door.

The explosion erupted, and Frost skillfully eliminated the Russians just before they could execute a seated hostage. The team surged into the room, swiftly securing the area. Sandman, displaying a blend of concern and urgency, immediately checked on the hostage, ensuring their safety in the midst of the tumultuous operation.

"Look at me, look at me. It's him," Sandman reassured as he helped the U.S. Vice President to his feet.

Sandman's attention shifted to the radio. "Overlord, P.I.D. on the Vice President. We're ready for extraction."

"Solid Copy, 0-1. Great work. Raptor 4 is arriving on the scene now," acknowledged Overlord, validating the success of their mission.

As they moved towards the balcony, a V-22 Osprey hovered in, ready to extract the team. The airspace hummed with activity as Black Hawks deployed more troops, and Apaches provided aerial surveillance.

"Truck, Grinch – we got our guy. We're on our way to LZ Neptune. Meet us there," Sandman commanded over the radio.

"Nice. I guess the first round's on us," Grinch responded, injecting a note of camaraderie into the tense atmosphere.