▬▬▬▬ 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑻𝒐𝒏𝒚'𝒔 𝒂𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒚

🗒 ❛ HEADCANNON ༉‧₊˚✧

TIMELINE。˚ ⁀➷ Post endgame AU

WARNING。˚ ⁀➷ Angst, Mentions of drinking,

PAIRING。˚ ⁀➷ Platonic! (Tony Stark x Y/N Dmitri)

SUMMARY。˚ ⁀➷ Six months since the day Y/N snapped her fingers and sacrificed her life for the universe, and Tony is still a mess grieving her death. One day, it reaches a breaking point.

 One day, it reaches a breaking point

꧁꧂

Tony let himself relax on the couch behind him, resting the glass of scotch on his knee. His eyes fluttered slowly, the grief in his mind clouding every other coherent thought that could pull him out of his misery.

Morgan was fast asleep, taking her usual afternoon nap, and Pepper was busy on the phone, talking business about Stark Industries for their next deal.

This morning, Tony got hold of an old message you left for him that dated back to the time of Ultron. Unfortunately, Morgan had seen it too and she yelled in pure joy, "Auntie Y/N!" rushing towards you for a hug. She missed you so much and no one would tell where you had disappeared to. But instead of being enveloped by your arms, Morgan ran right past your holographic figure, which caused her mind to spiral in confusion. Her mouth opened and closed blankly, her tiny mind not able to comprehend what had just happened.

Tony felt his heart fracture into a million pieces at the sight.

And Tony, he was left to wallow and drown in his dark thoughts. The darkness of his lab enveloped him like an old friend, hiding him away from the present.

The blue light of his projector cast over his form while he browsed through the files, swiping mindlessly. However, he froze when his eyes read a holograph recording named: 

Don't play it, Tony- Y/N Dmitri

"F.R.I.D.A.Y," He called his AI, "Play the footage," he downed the rest of his brown liquor, feeling it burn its way down.

"Why won't it sit still, damn it," you cursed, struggling to set the camera upright on the table in front of you, "Right. Hi Tony," you gave the camera a little wave, "I'm leaving this behind in case things don't go the way we planned," you paused, your initially cheerful expression dropping into one that of understanding.

"If you found this, I know you're not okay," your voice almost cracked up with a knowing expression.

Tony's face screwed up in a silent sob. He didn't know how your holographic figure could do it. Could make him feel so much emotion, could make him feel like you were there. With him.

"Because you were snooping around for something to distract you. If I didn't make it back, if I'm responsible for the pain you're going through," you pursed your lips, "I'm sorry, Tones,"

"I'm sorry too," Tony's hoarse voice replied to you, a tear went down his cheek. He gave you a nod, to completely show how much he understood you. Because he did. And he hated it.

He knew that you'd never let any of your loved ones get in harm's way, even if it meant that you'd go through the pain. But this time it was different. This time you hadn't returned or crawled your way out.

Tony knew you too well enough to know that you didn't want it either. But if it meant that the ones she cared about were safe, you would gladly do whatever it takes. Even at the cost of your own life.

Which was six months ago.

And Tony still couldn't get over it.

"Don't think of me too often. Spare yourself," you gave him a shrug, "You have your whole life ahead of you, don't waste it grieving me,"

Tony didn't know if it was the scotch or his mind playing tricks on him. Maybe he was going insane and finally seeing things; but he swore he could almost feel you kneel in front of him, bringing him into a hug, whispering gently, "I love you, tuna can,"

He let the illusion embrace him, shutting his eyes and forcing down more tears, "I love you too, sour patch,"

↠━━━━ღ◆ღ━━━━↞