Chapter 5

For the past few weeks, we haven't spoken a word. I called her so many times that I lost count, but she ignored me and I haven't seen her face since the time she told me she was pregnant. I need to tell her truthfully about what I feel about her, but she hasn't called me back. I even wrote to her. But nothing.

It sounds as if I'm begging for her back and acting like a child, but I need to talk to her. Otherwise, I will never have the chance.

Picking up the phone once again, I dialed her number and prayed once more.

It picked up and my heart stopped.

"Rose?" I asked quickly.

"Jack." The voice was deep and sounded like the man Rose was dating. Gorge. "This is Gorge and it would be wonderful if you would stop calling Rose and sending her letters." My mouth couldn't make words and I felt so embarrassed.

"Gorge, Rose and I are friends. I really need to talk to her." I gripped the phone tightly, feeling my anger going towards him. "Please. Give the phone to her."

"She is out to lunch. She won't be back until later." He said without emotion. He sounded as if he hated the idea.

"Can you tell her I called?"

"Not unless you stop trying to take her from me. I'm not an idiot, Jack." He said harshly and the line cut. My heart dropped and I felt a pain in my throat as a lump formed. Tears came to my eyes and I placed the phone down.

It was over.

Days turned to weeks and still no word from her.

I painted my feelings out in anger as I painted her and then, once it was finished, ruin it with scribbles all over her face. I then would throw it into my fireplace. It was the only thing that got calmed my anger and I felt guilt afterwards.

Standing in my studio, I painted her face once again and began to scribble her out of my mind. That all stopped when my butler opened my door.

"Sir, it's urgent." He said.

"Who is it?" I placed my paints down and began wiping my hands with a cloth.

"Rose Dawson." He said and shut the door slowly. My heart stopped as I felt the pain increase in my heart.

Throwing down the cloth, I headed downstairs in such a speed that a horse couldn't compare. I watched her enter the foyer, her heels clicking across the floor. She looked miserable and depressed. I walked down the stairs and came closer to her. Her eyes were red and smaller than before. There was no color in her face and she seemed so tired. My once beautiful rose wilted away.

Either way, I ran to her and hugged her in my arms. I kissed her over and over as if we were transported back to the grand staircase and I found her after she jumped off the lifeboat. It reminded me of that and I couldn't let her go. I let out a happy sigh and said her name over and over. She hugged me back and I couldn't believe it was her again.

She pulled off of me and took a step back with tears in her eyes.

"Rose, you look-" I began and she interrupted me.

"Different. Yes, I know." Frowning, she turned away from me and took a long breath. "I shouldn't have come." She began to head for the door, but I couldn't let her go. My anger for her was gone and I felt sympathy instead. The way she looked and spoke was as if she had been going through some very tough things. Why couldn't I have just stayed away? She wouldn't have to suffer.

"No, I can't loose you again." I said loudly and something inside her snapped. She gave me a painful look and I held her shoulders to keep her steady.