Chapter 11

The drive from Long Island to Maine was too long and with many hurdles. During that time, all I could think about was if Rose was alright and that made my heart thump wildly.

Ruth pointed out which roads to take and where to turn as we drove, but the house that Cal was living in was in the middle of nowhere with large fields and forests surrounding the building.

Rain poured down and around us making it cold and depressing. My father always told me that when it rains, someone nearby was crying and I hope it isn't Rose.

We pulled up a long driveway that Ruth explained leads up to the house and trees surrounded each side of the rocky road.

It was eerie as fogs rolled in and rain began to calm. It created an atmosphere of fear that made goosebumps crawl up my arms. I just couldn't wait for Rose to be in my arms and I can take her back with me to be safe.

"I'm going in first to find Rose. Give me a few minutes." Ruth said as we parked the cars halfway up the driveway. The house was in sight and I forced myself not to begin to run up there and get Rose back. Timing was everything and Cal was capable of dangerous things making us have to wait and be careful.

The police officers in the other car behind us had to wait as well and the fog created a perfect cover for us so no one in the house could see us coming.

Ruth jumped out and began walking up the road as she disappeared into the fog.

Molly placed her hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

"We are so close, Jack. It will be alright. Just wait." She assured me and I gave her a small grin as I turned away with pain on my face.

What if Rose was abused again? What if she won't even come out of the house with a beating heart? If I lost her, again, I don't think my heart could take it. I've always wanted to be hers and start a family with children and grow old together.

Almost 10 minutes went by, and I ordered the police officers to head up as Molly and I fallowed close behind.

We had about 7 uniformed men surround the house as I watched 2 of them head inside with loaded guns.

The house was averaged sized with two floors and a basement. The yard was covered in wet grass that made my feet freeze.

Molly and I stood by a tree in the front part of the house while the officers walked around the home. Their figures disappeared into the fog making my eyes hurt from trying to focus on them.
I waited and listened for a sound, but the moment I heard yelling, I dashed across the yard and slammed open the door.

Molly shouted my name, but I headed inside anyway.

Stairs lead up and down as more commotion came from upstairs in which I ran towards it.

I came into a small sitting room with large windows and some chairs. A fireplace was unlit with no lights on. The room was cold as fog covered the windows making it darker inside.

My breath stopped as I saw the guns on the ground and the 2 men with their hands up. Cal stood there with anger on his face as he held Rose by her hair with a sharp dagger on her throat. It made me happy to see her alive, but with the knife on her neck made me feel worse than before.

Rose looked uncared for as she wore an old, dirty gown and her curls were matted in sweat and grease from days without a bath. Her face was shiny from grease as well with red eyes and untamed eyebrows. I didn't care about how she looked now, though. I still saw her as the beautiful woman I first saw on Titanic. Her jade eyes stayed the same with the small sparkle of hope shining. Her dry lips quivered from the knife pressing against her skin.