Chapter 13

A year later

Holding my face, I waited in anticipation. I was becoming anxious for time to go faster as I kept waiting in the silence.

I tried to wrap my head around this day as Rose was in the other room. She went into labor earlier today and a doctor came straight away.

Ruth sat next to me in silence and tapped her foot, waiting to be a grandmother while I waited to be a father. I couldn't wait to have a child, but I hope Rose and the baby were alright. If I lost the baby, that is awful of course, but if I lost Rose, I don't think I could ever get back from that.

"So, what do you think it'll be?" Ruth asked. "Boy or girl."

"I hope for a little boy." I answered honestly.

"You sound like my ex-husband." Ruth smiled. "He wanted a boy too, but we had Rose."

"It's a good thing, though." I grinned and checked my watch again.

I bit into my fingernail in fear of what was happening at this moment. Hearing Rose's screams across the wall made me terrified, but that all stopped when I heard a baby's cry.

I turned to Ruth as she gave me a small smile and stood up. My heartbeat became more rapid at the thought of holding my child for the first time.

She went into the room and I waited.

"Jack, come on in." The doctor said in the doorway and walked slowly into the scene.

Rose held our baby, swaddled in a laced blanket with Ruth cooing at her grandchild.

Sunlight spilled into the room, lighting up the baby's skin. I ran over to Rose's side, kissed her, and stared down at the small child. Red hair covered it's head and it's eyes closed as it began to fall asleep. I smiled and reached down as it's small, pale hand took hold of my finger.

"It's a little girl." Rose smiled.

"What's her name?" I asked.

"I don't know yet."

"What about Josephine." I said softly, remembering the tune Rose and I sung on Titanic. I will always remember that song and perhaps we could sing it to our daughter now.

"It's perfect." Rose smiled and lifted the baby up to me so I can hold my first child.

"Little Josephine." I said softly and the baby became still as she fell into a deep sleep in my arms.

"I'm a father." I smiled.

"And I'm a mother." Rose whispered.

My first daughter was gorgeous and so cute with Rose's red hair.

I handed Josephine to Ruth as she stared down at her granddaughter. She smiled down at the baby with loving eyes as she realized that she was now a grandmother.

I took hold of Rose's hand as she sat up to kiss me once more. We finally were starting a family and I can't wait to teach my children and guide them like my father did before he died.

I know my daughter will be beautiful since she inherited Rose's looks and I already love her unconditionally.

"I finally have a child." Rose smiled and I remembered when she told me that she was pregnant from Gorge, but it was a mistake.

Although, I never told Rose about Gorge's suicide and I don't plan to. She used to love the man and I know it would break her heart. I love Rose and I'm glad she had my child.

I kissed Rose again and Ruth gave her Josephine to hold once more. The baby was asleep with small breaths escaping her mouth.
I was in a living dream with a family and a large house while I worked my dream job as an artist. Life was perfect and I felt lucky to have such a life and with Rose as my wife who I fall in love with every time I see her face. If I could, I would relive my days on the Titanic when I first fell in love with Rose and the memories we shared back then. She was finally mine and we will forever be together because I don't know what I would be without her.

NOTE:
Thank you for all of the comments throughout this book. They really make my day when I read them.
There previously was a second book, but I realized that the story was going absolutely nowhere so I decided that 'Forever Flying' is going to be the only book. It takes me forever to update chapters anyway with how busy everything is, so I rather not continue with it.

Thank you for reading! Hope you all are well! ❤️