Chapter 2 | "I would've recognized that smile anywhere"

Bonnie

The bus comes to a halt, waking me up from my deep sleep

I rub my eyes trying to process what is happening and then I look out of the window.

My eyes go wide.

We're here.
I smile so widely that my cheeks start burning.

We are parked at the only public parking in town. The oak trees are covered in dried snow and look old with the rotten branches pointing at me.

I wait for the elderly passengers to leave first and then I hop out of my seat and quickly get all of my bags and exit the smelly bus.

I suddenly feel a shiver as a cold, but soft wind hit my face.

I put on my white jacket and cuddle closer to my stuff.

I can't believe I'm here. A little voice whispered.

"I'm back." I mumble to myself. My eyes darting to every single detail of Winterville, the small center square with a lot of bakery's, cafe's and even clothing stores, the houses at the edge and on top of the stores and most of all, the ice skating rink.

Winterville was perfect to spend winter or Christmas at, it snowed a lot around here, although today was the particular day which wasn't snowing.

There are not a lot of people living here, but it is really famous for being one of the only places in America which was cold all year!

That's why it's called Winterville. There's not even summer here, the temperature that went the highest here I assume it was fourteen degrees celsius.

Wow, I really did my Winterville homework.

I shrug, remembering what's  happening right now and then take my phone out of my bag to see the location.

Building number: 12

Floor: 4

Room number: 7

I cautiously follow the directions written and find myself walking towards the right area.

My heart starts beating faster as each step I take.

Oh my god, I'm about to see Peter!

I'm sure he's also excited to see me!... I hope.

I look around the beautiful street, passing by each house. Each one more beautiful than the other.

I gasp as I stop in front of the one and only best cafe in town.

Mrs. Diaz's one.

It is actually named 'Best Cafe In Town' and it actually is the best cafe in town. Ain't that funny'.

Than, a thought  comes to my mind;

Does Mrs. Diaz still remember me? I frown, remembering she's almost eighty years old.

Of course she doesn't remember me...

"Sweetheart? Is everything okay?" A voice wakes me up from my thoughts and I blink twice, going back to my body.

I look in front of me to see the one and only, Mrs. Diaz in front of me.

Age really got ahead of her in the last couple of years, her old in pigtails black hair completely gray now, her face all wrinkled and her glasses still intact.

I smile remembering that Mrs. Diaz always wore pigtails, in fact, I've never seen her with her hair down, Like ever.

Mrs. Diaz's eyes grow wide as she puts a hand to her open mouth.

"I would've recognized that smile anywhere!" My smile grows wider as she opens her arms and envelopes me into a comfy hug. I hug her back.

"Oh my, look at you! All grown up and as beautiful as ever!" She compliments me and I chuckle.

"God! I would have never thought that you have grown into such a beautiful woman!" Mrs. Diaz continued to compliment me until I felt myself shivering a bit from the cold and she immediately noticed.

"Oh dear, come in! I'll make you your favorite drink, hot cocoa and it's on the house!" I frown, knowing I can't accept it. "Oh Mrs. Diaz you don't have—""Shhh, Say no more my child, you just arrived from a long journey, let me at least do this for you." I smile, putting a hand to my heart.

You see, that's exactly why I love Mrs. Diaz.

I sit down on the small table of two at the corner and watch her do my hot cocoa.

Then, Mrs. Diaz sits down next to me and places my hot cocoa on a Santa Claus mug in front of me.

I smile at her, taking a small sip, which burnt my lips but then the burning faded away as I tasted the hot cocoa.
I moan, taking another big gulp.

"You are an angel Mrs. Diaz." I say making her laugh.

I drink the best Cocoa ever slowly, not wanting to finish it and then Mrs. Diaz asks; "So I guess you're here to spend Christmas Holidays?" I nod, taking another sip of the drink, "You guessed correctly." She smiled at my answer.

"Are you staying at the Bed's & Breakfast or somewhere else?"

"I'm actually staying with Peter." she hums, raising her eyebrow.

Oh no, not again.

"You know, I think you both would make a really good couple—" "I'm so sorry Mrs. Diaz but I have to go." I interrupt her as quickly as possible and she burst out laughing.

"Okay then dear, take care!" We say our goodbye and I head towards his apartment. Taking a big breath in, I step inside the building.

꒦꒷꒷꒦

︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶

꒦꒷꒷꒦

Well, this chapter wasn't as short as I thought it would have been.
Btw hope you're liking it!!
❄️

instagram: @gabislbrary
tiktok: @gabilpcv