S2; Ep.8: The Last Jedi

============================================================

Chapter 15: The Last Jedi

Leia sat in the command center, observing a large display screen showing an image of the approaching First Order army. Other viewscreens showed views of their trenches and the mounted guns placed alongside them. The General addressed the group of Resistance officers running the command center.

Officer: We need to keep our heavy turrets firing as soon as the walkers get within range. The First Order doesn't know they're in a race against time. They'll keep their walkers out of range of our turrets to minimize the amount of damage they take. They'll try to use ground troops to take out our big guns and allow the walkers to push through.

Poe's voice crackled over the command center radio.

Poe: General, all skimspeeders are fueled up and rearmed. We're waiting on your signal.

Leia: Deploy the speeders.

Several flaps opened upwards on the shield door. Skim speeders shot out one after another, gliding over the trenches and gun turrets and impacting the salt flats in a burst of red dust.

After hitting the ground, the speeders wobbled as they hovered, due to the craft's weak repulsorlift tech. Each pilot flicked a green toggle in their cockpit, deploying a stake-like mono-ski that stuck into the ground and kicked up a wake of red crystal dust, but kept the speeders much more stable. Poe, who was piloting the lead skimspeeder, spoke into his headset.

Poe: I don't like these rust buckets and I don't like our odds, but the rest of the Resistance is counting on us. Make sure to give 'em hell.

The skimspeeders zipped across the salt flats, leaving behind red trails as they headed right for the looming First Order army.

Leia watched the speeders from a viewscreen in the command center. She felt pride in Poe for taking on this risky mission, but feared for his safety. Over the course of his service in the Resistance, Leia began to see Poe as a surrogate son.

Leia: Have the artillery open fire on the walkers. That'll halt them in their tracks and provide covering fire for the skimspeeders.

Kylo and Hux stood at the viewport of the shuttle, observing the incoming blaster bolts. The blasts left black scars on the walker's armor, but didn't do any serious damage.

Kylo Ren: Halt the heavy walkers right here. Have the ground troops and scout walkers destroy their turrets.

Hux: Supreme Leader, we need to press the attack. We can't allow the Resistance time to escape.