Chapter 13: If Only

Jimmy's gone.

The realization hit Scott in the face as hard as a blow.

He had arrived at the battlefield just in time to see Cathedral vanish, clutching two cages, one containing Jimmy, the other containing Gem.

Something told Scott that both of them would be dead by tomorrow, and he wouldn't even get to say goodbye.

He saw that Grian and Martyn's dead bodies lay on the ground, he also saw a dazed Adrienne and Morana, sitting in a tree.

Cathedral's tridant laying on the ground, a few feet away from Scott's grasp.

Something about the tridant was familiar to him.

He bent down and picked the tridant up from the ground, examining it closely.

It was a deep cyan color, the color that showed when a wave clashed against the sandy beach.

Something clicked in his head and he remembered that this wasn't the first time he had held this particular tridant in his hands.

He had given this tridant to the person he loved most in the world before Jimmy had strayed into his life.

He had given it to a girl named Cathedral, and he vaguely remembered that they were married.

That's when realization hit him in the face even harder than when he had realized Jimmy was gone.

Cathedral...

Cathedral Autumn Major...

Scott Autumn Major...

It all came together.

That girl whom he had given the tridant to was the exact girl who's live he had destroyed just a few weeks ago when he had crashed Jimmy's wedding.

The girl was the same girl who was now trying to kill him.

The girl was the same girl whom he had hated only a few months ago.

The girl was the same girl who had beat him in combat and had nearly killed him.

When he finally overcame his shock, he sat on the ground, destroyed by his realization.

He had tried to kill the one person who understood him.

It all made his head hurt.

"I crashed her wedding," Scott mumbled, "I tried to kill her."

After what felt like forever, he came to a conclusion: although he had been evil in the past, he had changed for the better. And even though Cathedral had been a good person in the past, it didn't change the fact that she had become evil.

Why didn't he come quicker!

Why didn't he put a stop to all this!

If he had, Jimmy would still be alive.

Gem would too.

If only...

Scott clentched his teeth.

He would put a stop to all of this, he had to.

Too many people had died for this stupid gameshow. And even though Scott knew that his ice powers weren't enough to defeat Cathedral, it was better to go down trying than to die for entertainment.

"Wow." Adrienne blinked.

Morana nodded in agreement.

"What just happened?" Adrienne gasped.

"I have no idea," Morana admitted, "Long story short, Grian, Martyn, and Anahita are dead while Jimmy and Gem have been taken by Cathedral."

"What a great summary." Adrienne rolled her eyes.